Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Request Assistance With Info on a specific B17 Crash.

Article about: So I have this letter, written by a Lester Eckmann Frankenstein. He served with the 332nd bomb squadron, 94th bomb group as a Navigator on a B-17. According to an old newspaper article I fou

Default Request Assistance With Info on a specific B17 Crash.

So I have this letter, written by a Lester Eckmann Frankenstein. He served with the 332nd bomb squadron, 94th bomb group as a Navigator on a B-17. According to an old newspaper article I found on Ancestry, Lester received a purple heart after he survived his aircraft being shot down over the English Channel. While searching his records I also found two National Jewish Welfare Board documents. One saying he was indeed wounded. The other saying he was awarded the Purple Heart and Air Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters.

My only issue is that I’m having trouble finding any information on any details about his aircraft getting shot down. I haven’t been able to find which specific aircraft it was or anything else. I was hoping someone could attempt to help me out. I appreciate any assistance.

What we need to know is when his plane went down.. That would help to narrow the search..

Something on the first card mentions the date 10/4/44 from a War Department Release, so there is an initial start point, but I am not seeing anything yet on the 322nd Bomb Squadron site, but I am in the middle of another search right now so I am not really focused yet on this one..

Here is the link to the squadron... Maybe the crew members are listed here..

332nd Bomb Squadron | Bomb Squadron | B-17 Bomber Flying Fortress – The Queen Of The Skies

Smitty

Edit, Smitty was faster on the draw.

Hi JB.

I don't know if this website will be useful. I did quickly go through every aircraft looking at the names, but didn't see your man. Maybe you could contact them and see if they have any info.

B-17 Flying Fortresses, which were assigned to the 332nd Bomb Squadron.
    332nd Bomb Squadron | Bomb Squadron | B-17 Bomber Flying Fortress – The Queen Of The Skies

I will keep searching and if anything comes up I will let you know.

Kind regards,

Will.

The only other thing I could think of is a MACR (Missing Air Crew Report) but this may need the tail number of the plane, but his name is not too common so it may also pop up somewhere in a MACR database

Smitty

Thank you for your help. Someone elsewhere actually solved it! Lester had been on a mission with the B-17 42-102574 “ Florencia” on July 8th 1944. They were over Barenton, France when they took significant damage. On the way back to base, they had to ditch the aircraft over the channel.

Hi Will,

Thank you for your help. Someone elsewhere just solved it.

B-17G-55-BO 42-102574 Florencia
    07/08/44 XM N Barenton, France. Abort - enemy action. Ditched in the English Channel. (No MACR)
    P Skelton, Gwynn E. 1st Lt. O-819195 RTD
    CP Mac Rae, Hugh (NMI) 2nd Lt. O-691108 RTD
    B Boyd, William R. 2nd Lt. O-706793 WIA
    N Snodgrass, James P. Jr. 2nd Lt. O-708577 WIA
    E Wetherington, George D. T/Sgt. 34664525 WIA
    R Matarese, Christopher R. T/Sgt. 32693041 RTD
    BT Frankenstein, Lester E. S/Sgt. 16078659 WIA
    WG Munoz, Francisco P. Sgt. 18047119 RTD
    WG Pazinin, Andrew F. S/Sgt. 36738534 RTD
    TG Di Giovanni, Anthony F. Sgt. 12193131 WIA

Thanks again!

Good day,