Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Sold to buy Spitfires

Article about: Hello This is a small booklet, sold by the Norwegian goverment in England, to finance the purchase Spitfires, for the Royal Norwegian Airforce. The Norwegian merchant fleet, made it possible

Default Sold to buy Spitfires

Hello

This is a small booklet, sold by the Norwegian goverment in England, to finance the purchase Spitfires, for the Royal Norwegian Airforce. The Norwegian merchant fleet, made it possible to buy the aircraft, but every penny counted

All the best
    Stig Erik

Sold to buy Spitfires

Sold to buy Spitfires

Sold to buy Spitfires

Default Re: Sold to buy Spitfires

From the thread title I thought you sold some of your collection and bought a spitfire! Anyways, They must have sold a ton of these booklets...

Corey

A Spit cost around about £12,600 give or take, during the war so with each book costing 2/6, and assuming for argument that was the amount donated without taking the printing costs into account, they would have to sell 100,800 copies to buy a single one......or thereabouts.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Yes I know. The Norwegian merchant fleet, one of the largest merchant fleets in the world, at the time. Made it possible to purchase the aircraft, but as a mentioned, every penny counts, so the profit's of selling booklets like this, helped the norwegian war effort.

All the best
    Stig Erik

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    From the thread title I thought you sold some of your collection and bought a spitfire! Anyways, They must have sold a ton of these booklets...

Corey

If I could sell my collection, and buy a Spitfire. I would do it! The best looking fighter of wwII.

All the best
    Stig Erik

Quote by Segedunum View Post
    If I could sell my collection, and buy a Spitfire. I would do it! The best looking fighter of wwII.

All the best
    Stig Erik
    The best looking fighter of all time.......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The best looking fighter of all time.......
    I agree. The best looking aircraft,of all time. Luckily, we have a couple preserved in their original condition in Norway. A Mk 9, and a Pr 11.

Stig Erik