Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stunning 44th Infantry Scrapbook

Article about: This group of items recently made its way into my local antique store, and when I first saw I knew I had to buy it. I was told this group was brought in by a man who was renovating an old ho

Default Stunning 44th Infantry Scrapbook

This group of items recently made its way into my local antique store, and when I first saw it I knew I had to buy it. I was told this group was brought in by a man who was renovating an old house. The man who found it said he came very close to actually tossing this stuff into the trash, but luckily he ended up bringing it to the antique store where it was saved.

All of these items were brought back by a "Neal O. Wade, Jr" of Virginia. From the documents I found it shows he belonged to the 2nd battalion, 71st regiment, of the 44th infantry division. His ASN is "33539783"

By looking through the many documents in this group it appears he later settled down in Houston Texas, which would explain why this was found locally.

There are MANY items in this group. So many that I won’t be able to show all the photos in my initial post alone. There are tons of personal items that he wrote on for his wife back home. The most stunning find in this group has got to be the uniform removed SS collar tab. All of these items were found inside of a scrapbook that is literally falling to pieces. I most likely can’t save the scrapbook, but I will salvage what I can from the front cover.

Just thought you guys would get a kick out this awesome group of items. I’ll be posting more photos of the items in later responses.

Best regards- Jarret

Stunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry Scrapbook

Jarrett,

Let be the first to congratulate you on a fine grouping.. I like it especially with the Mannheim connection as my wife is from Ludwigshafen which is right across the river from Mannheim.

So as far as preserving the book: The pages can be placed in acid free archival document protectors and placed in a 3 ring binder. The cover of the scarp book can also be placed into a document protector, and if the cover is too big you can trim it down so it fits. If you place the pages in the document protectors in the same order as the book is now, it will save the integrity of the sequence of the scrapbook..

If you need different size document protectors check out this link:

Sheet Protectors Clear - Keepfiling Plastic

I had to purchase some larger size protectors and an 11x17 binder from these folks several years ago for a project I was working on.. Couldn't be happier with their products..

Looking forward to seeing more of what you got..

Well done

Smitty

Very nice grouping! Thanks for sharing! My great-uncle Marvin spent his time overseas with Company D, 324th Infantry Regiment, 44th Infantry Division. He was from Port Arthur, TX, so not too far from your veteran. Very cool. Hopefully you'll post some more finds from this album.

-Robyn

Thanks for the advise and link Smitty!

The scrapbook is completely blank, it seems the vet just simply placed his mementoes in there and did nothing else. Luckily it also appears the items were actually never glued to the book either, so there is no residue to the back of the items. I'm going to do my best when it comes to salvaging the scrapbook. I'll be sure to take a look at that link. This group mainly consists of paper items, and I'm definitely going to need protection for them all.

Thanks for the congratulations too! It's not everyday I find items like these, and I find the vast amount of documentation that came with it to be stunning.

Best Regards- Jarret

Here are some more items from this grouping

Best regards- Jarret

Stunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry Scrapbook

Here are some more items, this is still not everything.

Stunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry ScrapbookStunning 44th Infantry Scrapbook

Just found this mans obituary. Seems he lived quite the life.

NEAL OSGOOD WADE, JR. Neal Osgood Wade passed away July 5,2004 one week after his 80th birthday. He was born in Moorehead City, North Carolina on June 27, 1924 to Eva and Neal O. Wade. He spent most of his early years in Charlottesville, Virginia where he met, in 5th grade, the love of his life, Nancy, his wife of 60 years. In June of 1942 he began his first year at the University of Virginia leaving shortly thereafter to join the U.S.Army's 44th Infantry Division. He entered combat on the shores of France and spent 230 days in battle. He earned three battle Stars, the Bronze Medal and Combat Infantry Badge. He was discharged on October 27, 1945. He re-entered The University of Virginia in 1945 where he was president of the School of Engineering, a member of the Honor Committee, a member of the Beta Fraternity, president of the "V" club and president of his graduating class. In addition to being a starting pitcher all four years of college, he was voted to a number of All Star teams and in his senior year co-captain of the U.Va. baseball team. He was also awarded the Billy Ward baseball trophy in his senior year. During the summers he played with the Edenton, North Carolina Colonials in the Albemarle League. At U.Va. he was a member of the 13 Society, ODK , Raven Society and the Secret 7 Society. Since graduating in 1949 he continued to serve The University in different capacities including as a Member of the Board of Visitors and president of the Alumni Board Of Governors. He won the Distinguished Engineering Alumni Award in 1992. In 1956 he graduated from MIT's Sloan Fellow program with a Masters in Industrial Management. Neal retired from Pennzoil as Group Vice President Neal was an active member of St. Martin's Church. He served on the vestry as Senior Warden and the Senior Council. He was founding trustee of the Wayside Chapel. He served on the Board Of Director of St Luke's Episcopal Hospital and Episcopal Seminary in Austin, Texas. He was a member of the Houston Country Club and served on its board of directors and was a member of the United States Senior Golf Association. He is survived by his wife, Nancy O'Neill Wade; sister Libby Wade Biggar; children Nancy O'Neill Blalock and husband Bill, Freeman M. Wade and wife Robin, Neal Osgood Wade and wife Marion; six grandchildren, Catherine Blalock Culley and husband Jonathan, Ann Blalock, Neal IV and Scott Wade, Alison and David Wade. A memorial service is planned for 2:00 pm Thursday, July 8, 2004 at St Martin's Episcopal Church, 717 Sage Road. In lieu of flowers please send donations to M.D. Anderson, Lymphoma/Myeloma, St Martin's Wayside Chapel or a charity of your choice. A special thanks to Neal's doctors and caregivers. Neal trusted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior and his favorite scripture was Psalm 23. We will miss him until we are reunited in heaven.

?

Great scrapbook

Jarrett,

Impressive grouping once again.. Some of those documents are really great.. A very complete record of one Soldier's account of what he witnessed..

Smitty

What an absolutely incredible group! I’m rather fond of the 44th and love to see material like this surface!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast