MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Super Interesting WW2 Era Letter Written by Greek Mother the Day After Germany’s Invasion of Greece. She writes of the invasion, Hitler, Greek Soldiers heading to the Front and more.

Article about: This letter was written by a Pregnant Greek Mother named Lenaki. She lived in Thessaloniki. Not long after this letter was written, her city would be occupied by the Germans. The letter read

Default Super Interesting WW2 Era Letter Written by Greek Mother the Day After Germany’s Invasion of Greece. She writes of the invasion, Hitler, Greek Soldiers heading to the Front and more.

Super Interesting WW2 Era Letter Written by Greek Mother the Day After Germany’s Invasion of Greece. She writes of the invasion, Hitler, Greek Soldiers heading to the Front and more.
    This letter was written by a Pregnant Greek Mother named Lenaki. She lived in Thessaloniki. Not long after this letter was written, her city would be occupied by the Germans. The letter reads:

Thessaloniki, 7/4/41

My beloved Iro,

This morning, young Aggelakis came to us and brought his hat (/helmet), coat, and weapon with two grenades. The laughter we shared when we received his mask through the Red Cross was indescribable. Mom put on the coat, hat, and mask and made an appearance. Imagine the voices. Elizabeth was there too, she came today to gather courage because her waist was sore from yesterday's war alarms. Nevertheless, she rejoiced at our smiling faces and the confidence we all have in Victory.

The recent news that Germany attacked us, well, the whole world accepted it with a great deal of apathy/indifference, as if they expected it from someone like Hitler and his machine, which are not human, yet they are called Germans. I am hoping for war alarms only, without us experiencing air raids in our shelter. Here, we all read newspapers and discuss, but none of us is filled with the fear that so many pro-German individuals had tried to "plant" in us before the war.

This morning, once again at 6:30, we went down to the shelter, but by now, at 1¨:00, there hasn't been another alarm. We took the folding screen down to the shelter, and if an alarm happens while I'm in labor, we have the service bed ready with a mattress and sheets, and medical supplies for the baby to be born in the shelter.

You know, both Mom and I take everything in stride, and complaints are rare, especially now when we endure all the hardships for the homeland and for Victory, which will undoubtedly be ours.

Yesterday, cars filled with young soldiers passed by our house, heading to the Greek borders, filled with enthusiasm and voices, singing...imagine the applause...we threw them flowers, it was a truly moving scene.

At home, we are now accommodating Stelios Mourtzopoulos (who sent Iro to Athens) too, so that he wouldn't be alone and melancholic. He eats and sleeps in the formal dining room, and he gives Mom 2,000 drachmas per month for the food, as the environment in our home is much more pleasant for him.

I received a letter from Spyros, from Athens as soon as he arrived there. I hope that in Patras, where they will be trained, they won't face any attacks. I wrote to him not to worry about us and especially about me, that I'm well, and apparently I will give birth around the 10th- 12th of the month. I really feel that he has a strong affection for me; I mean everything to him. In his letter, he constantly advises me not to worry because it can negatively affect our child or result in a difficult birth. Finally, my beloved Iro, I wish that you are loved by your husband as much as I am by my Spyros. May God and the Virgin Mary help us win this war and may our home be filled with laughter and joy again, really soon.

I can't even describe the joy we felt when you finally left Korytsa. You will live a bit more peacefully at least for now, my beloved, and I’m really happy for you. However, I’m quite sure that it’s just a matter of time for the filthy Italians to bombard the unarmed population, when they realize they are losing the game…

As for me, I'm doing fine. Right now, I'm embroidering a cyan square doily with 6 little cyan sets for Corinna. Mom will give it away as a gift. I'm making the garland with little wreaths motifs. Whenever I finish it, I'll attach 6 small towels to it, using the appliqué method…. We also received a letter from Aretoula, who luckily came the day before Korinna's wedding. Spyros read us this first letter that aunt Aretoula sent to him as her newly son-in-law, full of simplicity and kindness. (?) left with the 8th Hospital for Spetses, and thus, we lost his good company.

We sent you a package with Mr. Siniosoglou; you haven't written to let us know if you received it. Also, you haven't written if you received the stamps from Giannis, with the 150 drachmas that Lucía gave you. We are sending you the certificate as well. Her sister, Paraskevoula, brought it, so I hope you will receive your monthly allowance. We are also sending you the 110 drachmas from the officer's double pay.

This package is for Paraskevoula's brother. I hope you can give it to him quickly because it contains eggs. We will send you whatever we can for Easter, depending on what we find.

I don't know if I mentioned to you that Elenitsa Chatziioannou sent me 2 beautiful little jackets, one pink and one blue, along with 4 pairs of knitted socks, excellent. Besides those, she sent me a blue hairbrush with a box for soap, another one for talcum powder, and a little bell. Heroula, I'm thrilled. So, the gifts are arriving even before I give birth to our child, though I know he won't receive gifts in this wartime situation. Let's hope his father comes back, and he can get them later...

As I'm writing to you now, I have some aches in my waist and lower abdomen, and everyone tells me it will be better because I will give birth soon, and I'm easily in pain.

Now, I'll leave you to write a bit to Mom and Marina. Please write to us often, even if you hear that Thessaloniki is being bombed. Don't worry; you should know that we have a good shelter.

I send you sweet kisses with all my love. Giorgos is currently here on reserve. Giannis will be re-examined as an auxiliary on May 17th.

Many kisses to Meni and Lucia. With love, Lenaki"

MAP
    ?

That's a long one to translate. And in Greek no less!

Good read. Very interesting
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)