Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Two WW2 Era Letters Written by Serviceman Who Would Land on Omaha Beach on D-Day, June 6th 1944.

Article about: These two letters were written by a Russell Austin “Judge” McCoy Jr. He was born on October 29th 1911 in Norfolk, Virginia. During the war, Russell would enlist into the Armed Forces and

Default Two WW2 Era Letters Written by Serviceman Who Would Land on Omaha Beach on D-Day, June 6th 1944.

Two WW2 Era Letters Written by Serviceman Who Would Land on Omaha Beach on D-Day, June 6th 1944.
    These two letters were written by a Russell Austin “Judge” McCoy Jr. He was born on October 29th 1911 in Norfolk, Virginia. During the war, Russell would enlist into the Armed Forces and go on to serve with the Headquarters Battery, 29th Infantry Division Artillery.

The first letter was written in 1943, during this time, the division was training in Scotland and England for the upcoming invasion of France. The letter reads:

“ 29 August ‘43

My Darling,

I’m beginning to wonder if anything is wrong with you, if you’re sick or anything because I haven’t heard anything from you in such a long time. It’s been more than a week since I got a letter from anybody over on that side of the Atlantic and I get a little anxious when I don’t hear.

It’s Sunday morning (7:00AM) and this is probably, the earliest letter I have ever written. We got up at crack of dawn to start firing but the fog closed in and being unable to see, we’re biding our time in waiting for the Lord to send us blue skies. today’s shoot is the last of this series, and we stick around here til next Friday then back to our base camp for a spell.

My Readers Digest and Va. Beach News came yesterday and I’m looking forward to them both with pleasurable anticipation.

Got to move out now, love to all, and an early morning hug and kiss to my darling wife,

Rus. “

Less than a year later, Russell would take part in one of the most famous engagements of the war, he would land on Omaha Beach on D-Day, June 6th 1944. He would land with one of the advance parties of the 110th Field Artillery, attached to the 115th Infantry Regiment. The mission of the advance parties were to establish observation, to reconnoiter positions for the remainder of the Battalion, and to secure fire support for the Infantry. Russell’s advance party along with the 115th infantry Regiment would land on the beach, Fox Green sector, under heavy fire at about 10:30 am.

Russell would survive the engagement and would later be awarded the Croix De Guerre by France.
    The Second letter was written later on while Russell was in Germany a few months after Germany’s surrender. It reads:

“ 16 July 45

Darling,

Things have been happening. First I got a letter from Walter Guest offering me a job in his organization. It sounds pretty good, and will require living, eventually, in either Anderson or Greensboro. I’m sending you his letter and one which I got from Virginia both on the same subject also a copy of my reply to Walter.

Today, just when I got myself convinced that my homecoming couldn’t be too far distant, a request came through from 7th Army Hq. asking that I be transferred to Hq. European Theatre in the office of the chief Engineer. I immediately got in touch with G-I who went to Army Hq. today and asked him to do what he could to get me out of going up there. I’m just sitting here with bated breath waiting to hear what they’re going to do with me. I think I’ll blow my brains out if they make me stay here much longer.

Leewood Shaw is here with me now serving do-nuts to all the G.I.’s on this side of the river. She’s a very nice girl. All the guys are crazy about her. Her side-kick is Joan Taylor from Connecticut. They live in a house next to the Generals.

I’m unhappy. More unhappy than I can ever remember being.

Let me know what you think of Walters offer. Sounds kind of good to me, but I don’t dare make a decision until I hear from you.

All my love,
    Rus. “

Russell would also be awarded the Bronze Star medal with Oak Leaf Cluster. He would eventually return home and would end up working with Walter in Greensboro, NC. Russell would pass away on August 18th 2003 in Columbia, South Carolina aged 91. He is buried in the Elmwood Memorial Gardens Cemetery in Columbia.

Hi JB.

Another fantastic glimpse into the past, thanks for the upload. I visited Omaha beach and the America cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer a couple of years ago and they are both very poignant places.

Kind regards,

Will.