Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Uncles 605 Sqn Logbooks.

Article about: hi Guys, Been a long time since I last posted, but I've not been sitting doing nothing.... Very recently, I was very fortunate to get my uncles RAF Logbooks, he was Flt Lt John ( Jacky) Reid

?

Default Uncles 605 Sqn Logbooks.

hi Guys, Been a long time since I last posted, but I've not been sitting doing nothing....

Very recently, I was very fortunate to get my uncles RAF Logbooks, he was Flt Lt John ( Jacky) Reid a pilot on Mosquitos with 605 ( County of Warwick) Squadron, based at Bradwell Bay then onto Manston for D Day. I've been researching him for years, and was being helped by Ian Piper the Sqn historian, when he told me he had Jackys logs...covering his training in 1940 to his last flight on 26th June 1944. He certainly had some amount of flying hours, which didnt include his 15 months or so with 271 sqn, flying an HP Harrow all over the UK....

He and his observer Ray Phillips were killed when the aircraft broke up over Margate Railway Station on an NFT , and fell to the ground just outside the station. I got the accident reprts from the RAF museum, which says, the main starboard wing spar outboard of the engine nacalle broke, and the wing snapped off, then the p[ost side went, and the aircraft exploded and broke up, all this during a High G turn. All witnessed by a 10 year old lad John Williams who eventually became part of Margate Historical Soc.

So, the books will live here with me from now on...the book on the right, is actually at the book conservers right now, having the spine looked at and preserved....collecting it on Monday...

Have a read at his D Day entry, for the first mission of D Day over the Merville Battery....makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up...they were killed in the same aircraft, I sometimes wonder if the flak damage contributed to the accident, but not sure how to find this out...

Sorry for the pics on their side, the uploader did this, not me...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uncles 605 Sqn Logbooks.   Uncles 605 Sqn Logbooks.  

Uncles 605 Sqn Logbooks.   Uncles 605 Sqn Logbooks.  

Uncles 605 Sqn Logbooks.   Uncles 605 Sqn Logbooks.  

Uncles 605 Sqn Logbooks.  

Very fortunate to be given your Uncles logbooks by the Squadron historian. What an exciting piece of family history to research but tragic that he didn't live to see the wars end.

?

Hi there, Yes, I agree, they lived with our family from 1960 till my gran died in 1971, my cousin (Jackys son) came from the US for the funeral, and my mum gave him them, he took them back, then maybe mid 80's he decided to move to Hawaii, but didn't want to take them with him, in case of loss or damage, so, offered them to the RAF Museum, who passed him on to Ian the historian, the rest is history...now back home with me, and yes, so much to be researching on his career....I have all his letters home to family, written till the day before he and Ray were killed in an accident.