Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

US and Japanese - Pacific Theater Propaganda

Article about: Hi all, I finally got my scanner working again... and wanted to document these relics that my grandfather gave to me years ago in case something happened to them. A little backstory -- my gr

Talking US and Japanese - Pacific Theater Propaganda

Hi all,

I finally got my scanner working again... and wanted to document these relics that my grandfather gave to me years ago in case something happened to them. A little backstory -- my grandfather Ernest P. served aboard USS LST 171 as a Gunner's Mate, 1st Class and saw action through most of the pacific theater (New Guinea, Philippines, and claims he was on shore months after the bomb in Nagasaki). Being a curious grandson, he never opened up about his War stories until I started to ask him. Over countless crazy stories of his pet monkey aboard his ship, the battles and terror he experienced, and even crazier stories of a bootleg distillery in the ammo room of the ship (not a great idea)... he passed a few items down to me. Some of these include Imperial Japanese - Philippine occupation Pesos (money), pictures of him and his monkey, and a few pieces of propaganda he brought back home after the war.

I have tried to scan them and color correct them to reflect real life colors as best as possible. They have been formatted to show either the foldout flap side-by-side or as in the case of "Ticket To Meet Wife And Kid", front and back. They are mostly in great condition with the exception being the one of a bloody corpse laying on the barbed wire. Linen-type paper being stored between acid free sheets in a large notebook, out of sunlight and in dry conditions.

I am just happy to share these with the community, and was also wondering if anybody had more info about these pieces -- and even possibly what they may be worth (even though the sentimental value may be worth more). Also, if any museums would be willing to showcase them under loan or donation... I am always enthusiastic to teach others of our history as my grandfathers passed on to me. Lastly, if anyone is willing to hear more stories I can certainly tell a bunch

Thank you all,

-Nick

Those are very interesting Nick, and I would think quite rare. The production quality is surprisingly good, and it sounds like you are storing them correctly. I once had some Vietcong produced propaganda but it was nowhere as well made as these. My favourite, "it's yours for the asking".

Last edited by Anderson; 07-05-2018 at 06:16 AM. Reason: double post

Fascinating stuff! Thanks for sharing!

That's a neat collection
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.