Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Very Sad WW2 Era Letter written from Mother to Son who was overseas.

Article about: This letter was written by a Martha White. She was writing to her Son, Luther White, who was a captain serving with the 315th Bomb Wing, 501st Bombing Group. He served as a bombardier on a B

Default Very Sad WW2 Era Letter written from Mother to Son who was overseas.

This letter was written by a Martha White. She was writing to her Son, Luther White, who was a captain serving with the 315th Bomb Wing, 501st Bombing Group. He served as a bombardier on a B-29. What makes this letter sad is the fact that this letter was written 11 days after her son was killed in action, the news had not yet reached her that her son had been killed. Luther was shot down over Japan on May 9th 1945. The letter, written on May 20th 1945, reads:

“Louisville KY,
    May 20- 45

Dear Little old darling, mother will answer your letter vc(?) and was glad to hear from you and glad you had had your first mission. Now you know all about the first and am glad you had no trouble. Well your letter made Dad break out in a laugh when you said you all have saved paper in your pants. Even we don’t know what it was all about ha ha. Well old Dean Toots got in a head of me and wrote you the same night your letter came and told us all the news so I thought I would today. We went to church this morning. It was prayer day for all the service…

*Next page*

men, Boys and girls, so am sending you the inside program. Each father, mother, wife or relative held their finger on the name of servicemen and the navy and army service man clasp hands on the bible with Dr. Yates and he prayed, it was very sweet. But I certainly put a card in the basket stating your rank and over sea. So I’ll hear from them now, every Sunday I go I put in 25¢ for you and also for myself. So I am going to get your envelopes and put their money in. We went to the 10th st station and got the ticket for the girls last night and they didn’t go on sale until 12 o’clock. We went at 9 and I sure did get a big kick…

*Next page*

watching everyone. Well believe it or not we have the doors open and no line. I just got through hoeing my tomatoes, they look pretty good. Well honey, I just can’t make my mind up to go to Georgia’s but i guess I’ll try and go I just feel like I can’t stay here 2 weeks alone. The fare is 87.33 cents round trip I have got my clothes just about ready but I am afraid I won’t get that much out of the trip. Mrs Sherrill said she would forward my mail. Well I am feeling fine today. Toots has an upset stomach but she just lives with the coffee pot in her hand. Well darling, uncle Hue said tell you hello…

*next page*

for him and tell you he was pulling for you. Dot Murf and Dennie were here yesterday, they heard from Morris and they are expecting him home. Write as often as you can. We’ll write later in the week.

Love,
    Mother”

P.s. you ask about the foot locker. It arrived all ok. And I had the clothes cleaned. I have it in my room- taken good care of it”.

The letter would be marked return to sender.

The church program she spoke of was also in the envelope. At the top she wrote: “Darling, Save this and send it back if you think of it”. The program lists the members of the church who were serving in the armed forces.

Martha didn’t know it yet, but that morning, as she prayed for her Son, he was already gone.

The B-29 Luther was in was named “Road Apple” aircraft #42-63600. They were initially listed as "Missing in Action" when their B-29 failed to return to it's base on Guam from a mission on 8 May 1945. The plane was shot down by anti aircraft fire while on a mission to bomb an aircraft factory at Osaka, Japan on May 9th. Only one crewman was able to bail out of the aircraft, Radio Operator, Captain Richard H. Hamilton, but he was captured and executed by the Japanese a few weeks later.

?

Thank you for sharing this. Very moving to read the words of a mother to a son she didn't know had died.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

No problem. Always happy to share.

What a sad story that is so typical of so many experiences during the war and I guess all wars. Thank you for sharing this story and the memory of all those whom perished in the crash.

Hi JB.

I have to echo what the other guys have said, very sad indeed.

The B29 was named Roadapple.

Aircraft of the 315th Bomb Wing

It looks like there were 15 POWs executed on the same day as Captain Hamilton.

In Memoriam, 315th Bomb Wing, Roadapple
    Accident Boeing B-29 Superfortress 42-24809, 05 Jun 1945
    56 Years Ago Today

Kind regards,

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 04-09-2023 at 02:44 PM.

A sad letter from a Mother alongside the brutal reality of her sons fate and aftermath. The content can still shock and yet such events are sadly not confined to distant history but continue to play out even now.

Thank you for the additional info!

- - ------- - -

No problem!