Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

"War News" newspaper/bulletin august 1945?

Article about: Hello all, Here with my first potential ww2 find! This is a 2 page newspaper/bulletin titled "War News" that seems to have been issued to or from the infantry replacement training

Default "War News" newspaper/bulletin august 1945?

Hello all,
    Here with my first potential ww2 find! This is a 2 page newspaper/bulletin titled "War News" that seems to have been issued to or from the infantry replacement training center at Camp Roberts, CA. It was shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard and found at a local california flea market. I am unsure about its authenticity, as the pink paper is much brighter in color in person. However, the bleeding of the ink in the print and the worn paper make it feel quite old. It is dated August 21st, 1945 (It's a shame it's not just a few days later on Sept 2nd!). Is this really from 1945? And does anyone know anything about this publication? I could not find anything online except for something called the "Camp Roberts Dispatch". Thanks!

MAP
    ?

I see no issues with it's authenticity. Basically a "Camp" newsletter. Not too dissimilar to CalTech campus newsletter

I nice piece of homefront history.

Nice thought to see Boston lost the baseball game
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I agree 100% with what MAP has said..

This is a typical War time newspaper that was printed and posted on bulletin boards around camp in order for Soldier's to get the latest war news as well as sports news and other events. These varied from single page documents to multiple pages..

Most of the time the print which focused on world news which was copied Vir Batum from official press releases in order for the widest distribution.

Also interesting to note that at the top of the paper on the right side is the symbol/insignia for the 9th Service Command, which covered the Northwestern States (Arizona, California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington). The Headquarters for the 9th Service Command was at Fort Douglas, Utah.

If you want to add a WW2 era 9th Service Command Shoulder patch to your collection they can be found on Ebay for decent prices.

Below is an image of the 9th Service Command Should Patch

For a more secure means of preserving this document I would invest in some acid free archival document protectors. You can shop around to see if there are larger than the ordinary 8.5 x 11 sleeves.. I use a company called Keepfiling for all my archival documents in my personal collection. Here is a link: Sheet Protectors Clear - Keepfiling Plastic

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images "War News" newspaper/bulletin august 1945?