Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Would like help identifying the unit written on this envelope

Article about: This is from a recent post I made. I’m trying to determine what unit his was with. His name was C.K. Smith Jr. I can make out 421st and that’s pretty much it. If anyone can help out with

Default Would like help identifying the unit written on this envelope

Would like help identifying the unit written on this envelope
    This is from a recent post I made. I’m trying to determine what unit his was with. His name was C.K. Smith Jr. He was a Private. I can make out 421st and that’s pretty much it. If anyone can help out with the unit I’d be grateful.

Training Squadron perhaps?

It’s possible. But I’ve looked up things to the effect of “421st training squadron “ but haven’t found anything so far.

?

It is very difficult for me to make out anything after the “421st” either. I would assume he was at Gulfport to be using an envelope from there. I would think he was training as an aircraft mechanic and thought it to be like “421st Technical School Squadron”. Then I found that there was a 421st Training Group at Gulfport. The writing may be some abbreviated form of ‘Training Group’ although I still cannot convince myself it says that.
    Gulfport Field was a Technical School and Basic Training Center that primarily churned out aircraft mechanics. It was activated as Basic Training Center No.11 on 14 July 1943. A hospital, carrier pigeon unit, and a Heavy Bombardment Processing Headquarters, a unit of the First Bomber Command of the Second Air Force were located at Gulfport.

Ben

My only guess was that he may have been connected with the supplies section within the 421st Training Squadron.

Quote by Witt View Post
    It is very difficult for me to make out anything after the “421st” either. I would assume he was at Gulfport to be using an envelope from there. I would think he was training as an aircraft mechanic and thought it to be like “421st Technical School Squadron”. Then I found that there was a 421st Training Group at Gulfport. The writing may be some abbreviated form of ‘Training Group’ although I still cannot convince myself it says that.
    Gulfport Field was a Technical School and Basic Training Center that primarily churned out aircraft mechanics. It was activated as Basic Training Center No.11 on 14 July 1943. A hospital, carrier pigeon unit, and a Heavy Bombardment Processing Headquarters, a unit of the First Bomber Command of the Second Air Force were located at Gulfport.

Ben
    Now that you say that I can see 421st Trg (training) and Gp (group). I think you have deciphered it Ben!

that number at the top is likely the beginning of his service....31380*****
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

Quote by KatManDude View Post
    that number at the top is likely the beginning of his service....31380*****
    Did a check of the records but couldn't locate him, might be one of those lost in the fire back in the 1970s.

yeah...I did a cursory search as well but with the name Smith it will be a tough slog
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth