Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Derogatory Letter Typed by Colonel shortly after the Japanese Surrender.

Article about: This letter was typed by a Colonel Harry A Berk while at the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo not long after the Japanese surrender. It reads: 14th October 1945, Lois Dear: Had a god trip over. Our r

Default WW2 Era Derogatory Letter Typed by Colonel shortly after the Japanese Surrender.

WW2 Era Derogatory Letter Typed by Colonel shortly after the Japanese Surrender.
    This letter was typed by a Colonel Harry A Berk while at the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo not long after the Japanese surrender. It reads:

14th October 1945,

Lois Dear:

Had a good trip over. Our rather deluxe plane is not a bad way to travel trans-pacific. Tokyo is fascinating. The Japs are quite picturesque; the men look like little baboons, but the children and the woman in their colorful kimonos give the right dash to a strange place. Only sorry will not have much time to see this country. It is a place I will want to come back to in peace time. This doesn’t mean I like Japs; but the “little people” are not unpleasant.

Much to my surprise, I received a radio from the White House yesterday promoting me to full Colonel. Also received a bronze star along the way, in Hawaii, from General Richardson, the theater commander, (for past work.)

I think of you and the pleasant times we had together in New York. You are a grand gal; attractive and interesting and a swell pal.

Let me know how you are and what you are doing and thinking about.

All my best,
    Sincerely

Harry”
    Last edited by Heartfeltzero; 09-07-2023 at 09:58 PM.

What a different world they lived in. Nowadays such remarks would attract some frowns and shakes of the head.

Hi JB.

Another super interesting letter, thank you for the upload.

What is striking is that this shows how effective the wartime propaganda was at dehumanising the Japanese people.

Colonel Harry A. Berk is mentioned in the second paragraph.
    Foreign Relations of the United States: Diplomatic Papers,
    1945, The Far East, China, Volume VII - Office of the Historian

Commendation from Lt. Colonel Harry Berk.
    5th Army Mobile Radio Station - Commendations

Kind regards,

Will.