Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Grouping of items sent From Soldier to Family 1944

Article about: This is a grouping of different items that was sent by a Carl H. Mattson who served during WW2. Carl was born on May 15th 1911. The letter is dated September 10th 1944 and based on the envel

Default WW2 Era Grouping of items sent From Soldier to Family 1944

This is a grouping of different items that was sent by a Carl H. Mattson who served during WW2. Carl was born on May 15th 1911. The letter is dated September 10th 1944 and based on the envelope it was written while he was in the 104th General Hospital, England and is addressed to his Niece and Nephew. The letter reads:

“Somewhere in England
    Sunday Sept 10th, 1944

Dear Jerry and Joann:

How’s my favorite nephew and niece these days. Fine I hope. Mother has written to me quite often and told me how you are having such a good time this summer. I was glad to hear Jerry, that you attended Bible School and made such nice things. I’m sending each of you a five Franc note I received from a patient. These notes were issued to our Soldiers as invasion money to be spent in France. I am told they didn’t have much chance to spend much of it. The French people were so grateful that they had chased the Germans away that they gave them all kinds of things even though they had very little for themselves.

Take good care of yourselves and write to me soon. Will you Jerry?

Love your soldier Uncle,

Carl”
    Interesting enough, along with the letter in the envelope were both 5 Francs he had sent them. It appears they were laminated by the Niece and Nephew after receiving them.
    Also included was a souvenir he obtained from the Dickens Old Curiosity Shop in London. Which is still open to this day.
    Lastly, included was a wedding anniversary card he likely sent to a friend or family.
    Research reveals that Carl passed away at the age of 85 on June 16th 1996 in Drexel Hill PA. His wife , Nellie Mattson would pass away at the age of 89 on April 16th 2006. Carl and Nellie are both buried in Arlington Cemetery in Drexel Hill PA.

Very interesting and good research on your part. It shows us once again that there were soldiers with personal stories behind the objects we collected

Thanks for post.

Regards
    Santi

Indeed!

And thank you!