WW2 Era Hallmark Card/Letter Written by Tank Driver in Training While at Fort Knox.
WW2 Era Hallmark Card/Letter Written by Tank Driver in Training While at Fort Knox.
This letter was written by a Glenn B. Smyly. He was born on March 8th 1921 in Alabama. The letter was written by Glenn while he was in training to be a Tank Driver at Fort Knox. The letter reads:

“ Dearest Cousin Lola, Imogene, and Evelyn.

I certainly was sorry to hear about cousin Palomore. I’ve been thinking that I’d get a chance to write to you for a long time but it just seems like they can always think of some way to keep us from having any spare time.

I’ve been here for 6 months now and I still like it O.K. I had 11 weeks training as a tank driver and have been instructing on different subjects ever since. I’m about ready for them to ship me out of here or give me some idea what I’m going to do.

I got my first furlough last month. I went home for 7 days and had a pretty big time but it was so strange with all the fellows gone.

Well I’d better get to bed so I can get up at 4 in the morning. Write to me some time and let me know how everybody is getting along.

Love,
Glenn.

P.S. Tell Sally hello for me. “

Glenn would survive the war and would pass away on December 13th 1982 aged 61. He is buried in the Andalusia Memorial Cemetery in Alabama.