Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter From 3 Separate GI’s Of The 10th U.S. Mountain Division in Italy To a Lady Back Home.

Article about: This letter was written from 3 GI’s. The primary writer was an M. Kesselhou. The second writer was Wallace “Wally” O’Donnell, the third was Tom. Unfortunately I haven’t been able t

Default WW2 Era Letter From 3 Separate GI’s Of The 10th U.S. Mountain Division in Italy To a Lady Back Home.

WW2 Era Letter From 3 Separate GI’s Of The 10th U.S. Mountain Division in Italy To a Lady Back Home.
    This letter was written from 3 GI’s. The primary writer was an M. Kesselhou. The second writer was Wallace “Wally” O’Donnell, the third was Tom. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find much about them. I do know that Kesselhou served in the 604th Field Artillery Battalion, within the 10th U.S. Mountain Division. The letter was written in a Field Hospital where all of the men were recouping from previous wounds/ailments. According to Kesselhou’s hospital record, he had been wounded by the high pressure from an artillery blast. He would be admitted to the hospital in January 1945, and discharged in March.

The letter reads:

“ 21-Jan-45

Bon Jour Seniorina ;

Or as they say in Italy, “Good morning Miss”. To make things to write a bit more easier, I will have to let loose a lot of steam.

Red and I and the rest included are going to appreciate mail from home. Takes quite a time for the stuff to catch up with us. Can imagine a land slide will hit then. More mail than we can read but that’s what we want.

At this time, I have at my side a very distinguished looking, red haired, manly, soldier. He reigns by the title of Red, Wally, none other than O’Donnell. Say a few words to your fous Red. (i have to make him feel good) hang onto your hat.

I can’t live up to that build up, but if our censor was say, sleepy, I say a lot. But as it is, I’m sorry for not writing, but I’m sure you understand. I intend writing soon. I knew I’d ruin his letter. So Hi, all.

Best wishes,
    “Red”

And now that you have undergone the aforementioned “character”, We make a humble request. Please write Red and myself a newsy letter. Any old bit of gossip will do.

Not receiving any mail for quite some time, we hope you finally contacted Ralph and have steady communications with him.

I just cornered another of the four horsemen. Tom who says quote, “Hello, haven’t forgotten to write but have been a bit busy. Will see to it I get a letter off to you in the very near future” un quote. I mean it, Tom.

Now that everyone has had their say, and I must say, we had our say, the four of us wish you all well and the best of health as we are staying that way for those future get-togethers.

When possible, write.

Love,
    Kessy.