Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter From a Pvt with the Army Air Force Technical Training Command.

Article about: I don’t have a ton of info about the Servicemen who write this letter unfortunately. His rank looks to have been a Private. From what I can see of his name, it’s C.R. Smith Jr. He served

Default WW2 Era Letter From a Pvt with the Army Air Force Technical Training Command.

I don’t have a ton of info about the Servicemen who write this letter unfortunately. His rank looks to have been a Private. From what I can see of his name, it’s C.R. Smith Jr. He served with the 421st, not sure what group specifically. Any additional information is greatly appreciated! The letter reads:

“It’s raining down here again! All day long- I’m going nuts!

27 September 1943
    Monday

Dear Mom-

As you can see, I haven’t left this paradise as yet. About a dozen kids from our flight left just a half-hour ago. One of them was a rather good friend of mine. I gave him our home address and he is going to drop a card with his new address so that I can write him. The flight has been broken up into four parts. Chuck is going with me. George and Bud are going together. We don’t know where or when. I’ve been ready since Sunday.

I got the last letter you wrote today. It was dated last Friday. I presume that you didn’t write Saturday night after I called. You spoke of underwear in this letter, get a dozen sets if you can. I also need towels and face towels. I believe I told you before that I didn’t find Hubert(?).

I also told you that I didn’t want that cap right away, I now have two caps. Funny how I pick things up.

I don’t feel like writing much more. In fact, I don’t feel like writing at all. I am rather on edge and, besides, the light is bad.

When I do get on that train, it will probably be four or five days before you hear again. The lieutenant told a fellow that our group was taking the longest ride to the nicest school of all. California or Vermont.

PS: will write tomorrow if possible or if I don’t ship.

Love
    “C” “

Default Cyril Kinsella Smith Jr. 1925-2013.

Greetings,

Here's your individual. Unfortunately, I could not determine what he did or where he served during WWII. But name and home's address matches up nicely on his WWII Draft's Registration Card.

Here's his picture from his 1943 High School's Yearbook, which I posted on his Find-A-Grave page: Cyril “Smitty” Smith (1925-2013) - Find a Grave Memorial

And lastly, his obituary from Ancestry.com.

"Smith, Cyril " Smitty", JR. Cyril "Smitty" Smith, Jr., 88, of Northford, loving husband of 62 years to Shirley Maureen Blake Smith, passed away June 4, 2013. Smitty was born in Hartford on April 23, 1925, son of the late Cyril and Helen Lowry Smith. He graduated from St. Joseph's Junior High School in 1940 and from Weaver High School in 1943, then served in the United States Air Corp during World War Two. After the war, he earned a Bachelor's Degree in Architecture from Yale University in 1949 and became a licensed architect in 1948 prior to graduation. After graduating from Yale, he joined the structural engineering firm of Henry A. Peisterer and then D.C. & M Architects. With Henry F. Miller, he designed St. Augustine's Catholic Church in North Branford. In 1963, Smitty opened and operated his own Architectural firm in Branford until his retirement in 2010. He was a member of the Connecticut Society of Architects, and was a committee member of the American Institute of Architects in Connecticut. He joined the North Branford Town Commission in 1958 where he served as member, secretary and chairman, respectively until 1970. In addition to his wife, he is survived by his three loving daughters, Pamela Beth Smith (Larry Rapoport), Lisa Alexandra Brown and Kimberley Ellen O'Connor (Patrick). Smitty loved his family and was especially proud of his six grandchildren, Caitlin, Cameron, Elizabeth, Jack, Kylie and Sean. He was predeceased by his son-in-law, James Brown. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 am on Saturday at St. Augustine's Catholic Church, North Branford. A private burial will follow in All Saints Cemetery. Family and friends are invited to call at Keenan Funeral Home, 330 Notch Hill Road, (Rte. 22 So. at Rte 80.), North Branford, from 5-7 pm on Friday. Those wishing to send condolences online may do so at Keenan Funeral Home - West Haven & North Branford, CT. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Animal Haven, 89 Mill Road, North Haven, CT."

Thank you so much!