WW2 Era Letter Sent by Family to American POW in Japan.
This letter was typed by a Mary Dougall to a Cpl. Thomas P. Pierce. Thomas had served with the 28th Bombardment Squadron within the 19th Bombardment Group. His unit had been stationed in the Philippines when the Japanese invasion began shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor. His unit would surrender to the Japanese in May of 1942. Thomas would be sent to Tokyo Sectional Camp #3 - Hiraoka, Nagano Tokyo Bay where he would spend the entirety of the war as a Japanese Prisoner of War.

This letter was sent to Thomas on September 28th 1943. It reads:

“ September 28 - 1943.

Dear Tom;

Your mother has been here visiting with me this afternoon and gave us your address and while I am sure I cannot tell you any news which she has not already told you, I wanted to write and let you know how much we are all thinking of you and looking forward to your home coming.

You will be glad to know that your mother is looking very well and is the same cheerful person she was when you last saw her. Your young nephew looks enough like you to be your own son. He looks about like you did when I first knew you. I see Peggy quite often and she has made a splendid job of being a mother. She looks very well. We are all glad to know that you are well and receiving good treatment. We all send love and best Wishes,

Mary Dougall.”

Unfortunately this letter would never reach Thomas due to strict Japanese Government Rules. The Censor would return this letter with the following note that reads:

“ This communication is returned since the Japanese Government has refused delivery of any mail to American Prisoners of War and civilian internees held by Japan unless it complies with all of the following conditions :

1. Letters must be less than 25 words in length.
2. Letters must be typewritten or Legibly block printed.
3. Subject matter must be strictly personal ; no military or political matters or opinions may be included.
4. The name of the Internment Camp must appear in the forwarding address.

These Conditions have been imposed by the Japanese Government and not by U.S. Government. “

Thomas would be released back to the US in late 1945.