MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Typed by Airman. He writes about visiting Charleston SC and witnessing racism while on a bus there.

Article about: This letter was typed by an Airman who was stationed in Beaufort SC. during WW2. He writes about visiting Charleston SC and his experiences there. As well as witnessing racism while on a bus

Default WW2 Era Letter Typed by Airman. He writes about visiting Charleston SC and witnessing racism while on a bus there.

WW2 Era Letter Typed by Airman. He writes about visiting Charleston SC and witnessing racism while on a bus there.
    This letter was typed by an Airman who was stationed in Beaufort SC. during WW2. He writes about visiting Charleston SC and his experiences there. As well as witnessing racism while on a bus there. Unfortunately the letter’s didn’t come with the envelope so I don’t have much information on who wrote it or what specific unit he was with. I would normally provide a transcript but as this was clearly typed, I didn’t think that would be necessary. I hope you enjoy the read!

Another gem Heartfeltzero, a pity the writer isn't easily identifiable. The letter is very descriptive in places, at times the prose reminded me of Ernest Hemingway. The saddest part for me is to think that all these years later some attitudes have not changed.

Hi JB.

Thank you for sharing another very interesting letter. Unfortunately for the black soldier on the bus, this type of incident happened quite often. It reminds me of the story of Booker Thomas Spicely, a soldier who was actually shot by a bus driver.

Kind regards,

Will.

I definitely agree. It’s always sad to see how many issues that were prevalent during that time are still around after all these years.

- - ------- - -

Hey Will,

And no problem, I’m glad you enjoyed the read. And I’ll definitely look that up as I’ve never heard of that before. That’s very sad though.