WW2 Era Letter Written by American Soldier 6 Months Before He Would be Killed In Action In Italy. (Served in the Same Regiment as Audie Murphy).
This letter was written by a John A. Mattioni. He was born on September 8th 1910 in Coshocton, Ohio. He would enlist into the Army on October 27th 1942. during the war, John would spend some time in a Replacement Battalion before being assigned to Company I, 15th Infantry Regiment within the 3rd Infantry Division. This is the same regiment that the famous Audie Murphy served in. This letter was written while John was still in a replacement battalion in North Africa. The letter reads:

“ North Africa
Thursday April 1st 1943

Hello Gerald and Ruth.

Just a short line today to let you know that I received your letter today dated feb 23rd and I sure was glad to hear from you. But I was not where you expected me to be when I received it. I am almost sure that I have written to you while I was on my way here at sea. But I had written it so many that I am not sure. So now that I have received your letter, I am dropping you another line. Well I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty of getting to work since Gerald has taken a new job at Curtiss Wright. But as you may know that we are all having our ups and downs now. Although we must take the bitter with the sweet to get this over with as soon as we possibly can. Then we may be able to go back to our normal standing. And all of the boys here may return to their loved ones at home. I do hope that everything will be O.K. soon. Well as I am not allowed to say much in any of my letters, I will have to close until later. Drop me a line anytime you wish as I sure love to receive mail. God be with all of you. Will write again as soon as possible.

As ever your friend I remain,

John A. Mattioni”

Soon after this letter was written, The 3rd Infantry Division would leave North Africa and on September 18th 1943, would come ashore at Salerno, Italy. The 3rd Division was destined to see some of the fiercest and toughest fighting of the war thus far, serving on the Italian Front.

Sadly, on October 13th 1943, John would be killed in action. Based on the date, he was likely killed during the crossing of the Volturno River that took place Oct 13-14.

John is buried in the South Lawn Cemetery in Coshocton, Ohio. He was 33. There is a KIA Memorial Bridge named after John, his name is on Bridge #4 on CR 55 in Jackson Twp. in Coshocton Co, Ohio.

WW2 Era Letter Written by American Soldier 6 Months Before He Would be Killed In Action In Italy. (Served in the Same Regiment as Audie Murphy).