WW2 Era Letter Written by American Soldier While Training in Ireland. He Would be killed 2 Months Later in Normandy.
This letter was written by a William N McCullough. He was born on September 19th 1909 in Pennsylvania. He would enlist into the armed forces on November 8th 1942 and would go on to serve with the 121st Infantry Regiment, 8th Infantry Division. The letter was written while Williams division was training in Ireland. The letter reads:

“ Saturday May 6, 1944
Somewhere in Ireland

Dear Dad:

I hope that everything is all right at home. I received your letter of the 25th the day before yesterday. Up till now I have had no time to answer it.

Dad, just what kind of a paper is the press trying to run? Soon after the first of the year I read of Bill Sheeders death in it. Had a nice write up about him. How he was a veteran employee of the Pennsylvania railroad. Also the engraver of the press. It was him shure enough.

I have here the March 30th issue. It seems that some one has their marbles crossed up.

In it they have an article about him catching a one armed bandit. Now I ask you. How can that happen? Might be the people back home has learned a little about Reincarnation. If they have, let me know all about it? It might come in handy in the near future.

Then again I might have dreamed all of that. Then too I could be getting what they call over here, E.T.O. happy.

I had a letter this week from Bob. He said, he was in good health and was not having much excitement. He said that his mail was coming in so slow. He thought some day soon he would get a big catch of it all at one time.

I suppose you told me before but I forget so easy. What are your work hours? Do you work nights all the time? Or do your shifts change about?

I hope that Chid. had a good time when he was home. Also that Jim. and Buddy get their leave.

Well, dad I am in good health and okay in every way. Take good care of yourself. Remember me to all.

With love,
Bill.

The section where he writes about reincarnation and how it might come in handy “in the near future” really gave me chills when I originally read this letter.

After training in Northern Ireland, the 8th Infantry Division would land on Utah Beach on July 4th 1944, and would first enter combat on July 7th. On July 19th, while his regiment was fighting to help liberate St. Lo, William was killed in action. He was 34. He was originally buried in Normandy, France, but at the request of his family, in 1948 his body was returned to the U.S. He is now buried in the Vincent Mennonite Church Cemetery in Pennsylvania.
WW2 Era Letter Written by American Soldier While Training in Ireland. He Would be killed 2 Months Later in Normandy.