WW2 Era Letter Written by an Australian Serviceman. He writes about the war effort as well as other topics. Details in comments.
This letter was written by a Jack Rigby. He was serving in the Australian army during the war. Unfortunately I don’t have any additional information on him. The letter reads:

“ 197 Broome Street
North Cottesloe
West Australia
Wed 1-3•44

Sincerely hope you and yours are well.

Mr. And Mrs Chads Family.

Dear friends,

Maybe you will think I have departed but no! Such is not the case. Fact is I am in the pink at present and so also is Mrs. Kisby and Bert and Peg as you know of course. Peg is married and her babe is now 14 1/2 months old. Rodney, he is and I can tell you he is a real hard case. Walking everywhere of course and talking a little. He is a real larrikin and is more like a child of 2 1/2. Peg and her hubby are at present living at a summer watering place Mandurah some 40 miles south of here. They were home for tea last Sunday and are all quite well. Bert is back at his post office job at Fremantle after a 12 month period in the army. ill health put him out of the army but he is quite well again now. As for me, well! I am still in the army and seem likely to be so until the end of the war.

My job is body building and truck repairs and I can assure you I get plenty of work. However, Leave is very liberal and I get home at least 2 or 3 nights per week and a weekend every month. Of course we never know at what minute we might be called away and personally I don’t worry much as I feel that so long as I am working all the time, I don’t care where I am.

This war business is a gigantic affair and it looks as though we have some hard fights ahead of us til the enemy is crushed.

Great work is being done in New Guinea by our Aussie soldiers and your boys too and also in the other islands. However though, we are still a long way from Tokyo and seems we have Nip on the run and will ultimately lick him once and for all.

Russia is doing wonderful work also R.A.F. and Yankee bombers in Britain. Our summer has been hot but nevertheless most glorious and I will be sorry when winter comes as I like the sun. We still get plenty of everything despite rationing. Happy thoughts friends and many thanks for your Xmas greetings and various 1st day covers I have recently received.

Yours,

Jack Rigby. “
WW2 Era Letter Written by an Australian Serviceman. He writes about the war effort as well as other topics. Details in comments.