Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by Canadian Pilot In Training While in England.

Article about: Don’t have a ton of information about this one unfortunately. This letter was written by a P.H Lawrence who was a R.C.A.F. Pilot in training. He wrote this letter while in England to his f

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by Canadian Pilot In Training While in England.

Don’t have a ton of information about this one unfortunately. This letter was written by a P.H Lawrence who was a R.C.A.F. Pilot in training. He wrote this letter while in England to his family living in the U.S. The letter reads:

“ England
    March 25th, 1943

Dear Ruth, Bowen and Barbara:

It is raining today in England after a month of clear weather. Of course you might know, it’s my day off, but due to the weather, I am spending it in camp. I am at a flying field, continuing my flying training. The time is short now and soon I will be on with the job I came over to do.

This place is sure out in the country. It is twelve miles to the nearest town and not very much means of transportation. It is so spread out, that we have to walk a mile to eat, a mile to wash and a mile to the field. Needless to say, I’m tired of walking. We are going to be issued with bikes soon, so that will help. The food is fairly good here. Today for dinner, we had liver, potatoes, dried peas, greens, pudding and tea. We have four meals a day, breakfast, dinner, tea and supper, which is the English way of doing things. This is a R.A.F. station to which I am attached.

If everything goes the way it is now planned, I’ll be flying four engine planes soon and what pilot could ask for more. This flying business gets more complicated every day and it seems I do nothing but study and more study. I have just finished a weeks ground school and that’s the way it goes.

We are treated as Sergeants on this station which is really the first time since we came over. We have a separate mess and lounge and our own barracks. All of this of course doesn’t compare with things back home, but it’s pretty good over here. We pay mess fees and have table cloths on the tables. We have butter twice a day, never see any sugar and get about two chocolate bars a week. I have only seen oranges over here once and they weren’t for sale. We used to be able to get apples, but can’t any more.

I hope you are all well, happy and together. Give my regards to all and to you, Bow and Barbara,

Love,
    Puse(?)

Hi JB.

Thanks for sharing another interesting letter.

I wonder where he was based in England? Also as an Englishman I can tell you that the sort of food we eat hasn't changed much lol.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

No problem. And I was wondering the same thing. Probably no way to know for sure unfortunately. And that’s good to hear. Would love to visit England one day. Lots of interesting culture.

Good day,
    JB.

I did have a search but found nothing unfortunately. I would recommend a visit one day, there is so much to see and do, just avoid London lol.

?

Shame the location isn't known. There are still many airfields to be found across England. Would've been good to visit if known and take some photos.
    Liver, mashed potatoes, peas is one of my favourite meals!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I’ve actually never tried liver. Wasn’t something I ever expected to be a main dish that people like eating. Would definitely love to try it though.

It is pretty nice JB and in keeping with the ww2 theme, here is a recipe I just found.

Stuffed and baked liver.

1 lb. liver, a few slices of fat bacon, sage stuffing, pepper and salt.

Get your butcher to let you have the liver without slicing it. Wipe it with a damp cloth. Slice it through the centre so as to have a long strip. Prepare the stuffing and spread it over the liver. Season with pepper and salt, roll up, and tie with a piece of twine.

Place a few slices of fat bacon over the top of the roll. Cover with a piece of greased paper, put into a baking tin. Add 1 cup of water and bake in a moderate oven for 1.5 to 2 hours. Baste often with the gravy from the dish. Serve with a green vegetable, and mashed potatoes, and with gravy made from the liquor in the dish.

Making a meal with your non-rationed meat in wartime - WartimeNI

?

I normally slice mine, roll it in seasoned flour, brown it off and then make a casserole with onions and bacon, red wine and stock. Leave it to cook slowly in the oven.

Or just slice fine and fry in oil and garlic.

It was a good source of protein for those lucky enough to get it during the war like kidneys. It wasn't rationed but it wasn't always available and the butcher favoured some customers over others when it was.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

That sounds very interesting! I’ll have to save the recipe and try it out someday. Thanks!