WW2 Era Letter Written by Fleet Marine Force Member to family
Page 1 :

“Monday

Dear Brandon(?)-

I got your letter today and enjoyed it so much. I hear things from you that the others don't write, if possible, you should make it a point to write more letters to me. Tell mama we got a marine blanket (?) today and asked a Lt. what I was really in and he said as far as he knew it was still the Navy, altho we are to be attached to the marines, and unless charged we are to have this uniform. My address is

H.H. HOLLIS Jr
FIC Hdq Co B
-N-C-B-R-?-
Fleet Marine Force Center
Camp Elliot San Diego Cal

You can tell Kurt I am in the Navy or marines, one as much as the other, it looks to me that our only…..

Page 2 :

contact with the Navy is our uniforms and it looks as I said before it might be charged.

Brandon, an airport next to us has a lot of the new Navy Fighters on it, Vought Corsairs, the one with the 2000 H.P. Weight(?) in it, it is a large plane and its wings go up from the body like a Stuka, the pilot sits almost in the tail, even the rear wheel retracts and it looks, when it is low over head like it might have eight guns in the wings.

I talked to a boy who is at the field and he said it is better than the P-47 in fact the last plane America has in the pursuit class the pilot, had been flying Grumman’s…

Page 3 :

and had trouble with it at first, with the flaps down it whistles like a siren.

Mama said in her letter that you are a big help to them at the yard, keep it up and tell Pa and Carolyn I said to give you money if you need it, but don’t throw it away. You said you have it falling out, don’t worry to much about that as all turns out O.K to people who do right.

Brandon, don’t you think that it would be a good idea with so many of the young people gone, that you started to go back to church as you once did, it would look so nice to see you and Carolyn on the back seat with MaMa each Sunday and Mama…

Page 4 :

also for that reason but so many things turn up it seems to keep her from going. Had a practice air raid just this minute and the lights were off for about five minutes, (practice). I bet “The Tiger” grew as red as a beet when all the boys hollared at him in the parade, just like him to be in front to be seen, Dick Lindsay said that “Tootsie” had been promoted to a Sargeant, must not be so hard to make in the Army. There is a bunch of boys in the tent next to us (8 of them) who give more trouble then all of the camp combined, all get drunk, in the brig, or something to, each of them. …

Page 5 :

If one goes to sleep he gets the hot foot, put shoe polish on foot and light it, one boy Bolton(?) went to sleep and they got him with his shoes on, he took them off, they put polish on his sock and lit it, he jumped up with his sock on fire. I am going to get the pocket book as soon as I can get to town when the stores are open.

Best of luck to you and try to do your best

Nookie

P.S. See where Hall left for Fort Jackson, S.C. “