Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by GI (He writes about seeing and going inside of Hitlers Mountain Retreat, Hitlers, Görings, and Bormanns houses).

Article about: The letter was written by Berlin Virgil Brown Jr. He was born on September 12th 1918 in Illinois. He would enlist into the military and would serve with the 496th Field Artillery Battalion,

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by GI (He writes about seeing and going inside of Hitlers Mountain Retreat, Hitlers, Görings, and Bormanns houses).

WW2 Era Letter Written by GI (He writes about seeing and going inside of Hitlers Mountain Retreat, Hitlers, Görings, and Bormanns houses).
    The letter was written by Berlin Virgil Brown Jr. He was born on September 12th 1918 in Illinois. He would enlist into the military and would serve with the 496th Field Artillery Battalion, within the 13th Armored Division. He wrote this letter while in the Bavarian town of Reischach. The letter reads:

“May 30th 1945
    In Bavaria, Germany

Dear Grace & Chester,

I guess maybe you will think that I done forgot, well I haven’t. I think of you often, but was not much that I could do about it. So just don’t die when you get this letter ha ha, but write me when you can. And this has been no fun as you know. I will tell you all about it when I see you, which I hope isn’t very long. And the way it looks now, it won’t be too long. We had a lot of work to do before we could get out of…

*next page*

here. And to we had no gas to move, what do you think of that? I don’t know if you shall be able to read this letter. For I have not done any writing for a long time, or maybe I should say much! Well to begin this letter with, or to end it what may it be. Anyway, I did see Hitlers Mountain Retreat, Hitlers, Görings, and Bormanns houses and was in them. What a place, but never got to Berlin, well anyway, I am ready to come home now. O yes, I saw and…

*next page*

was in the hotel platterhof at Hitlers Mountain Retreat. I am still in Bavaria Germany in a little town named Reischach, just a little place in the state of Bavaria, a hell of a place to be now. But I guess not never as bad as some of the places that I have been, not long ago, lucky i guess, just plain luck, that’s all I call it. Well anyway, it’s over with, over with, over here, but may not be over with for us, that I can not say. That we do not know. But I hope and pray that I never see days like I have seen before, you get cold then you get hot, and then…

*next page*

you don’t know what do do. But we did it all. It all over with. I never write and tell mamma anything about it, for she never needs to know. Well, write me if you can. I know about Chester, it’s to bad, but just saying to bad won’t do it any good I know. I don’t know of anything more that I might say, tonight , but just goodnight and good luck.

With love
    Truly yours,
    Berlin jr.”

Berlin would live a long life and passed away on January 16th 1997 in Illinois. He was 78.

Hi JB.

Another really interesting letter, thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

No problem, glad you enjoyed the read.

Good day,
    JB

Fascinating letter, leaving so many questions about what he witnessed and whether he was able to talk about it.