WW2 Era Letter Written by Medic in Luxembourg To His Wife Shortly Before The Battle Of The Bulge. Includes Multiple Currencies and Photos.
This letter was written by an Erwin W. Schulz. He served with the 102nd Evacuation Hospital. They would care for wounded soldiers fresh out of battle. When this letter was written, Erwin was in Ettelbruck, Luxembourg, where they were mostly taking care of wounded soldiers from the 28th Infantry Division. They had previously been stationed in the chateau de roumont in Libin, Belgium. The letter reads:

“ Thursday Night Nov. 23rd
Somewhere in Luxembourg

Dear honey,

You are going to miss quite a few letters because I haven’t written you in about six days. I think Saturday night was the last one. Well honey this finds me somewhere In Luxembourg as you see. Somehow when we move, I can’t seem to have any time to write. It really keeps us busy.

Honey I have just about given up hope as to the mail situation. The last letter I got was about a week ago. In fact the last three nights I haven’t been to mail call. There aren’t any of us getting any mail. And we can’t figure out what goes with it. I know it can’t all be lost. So far honey, I have gotten two of your packages, but not the watch. I hope it makes it through. Honey, am glad you told the man to put in the gas system. And if there is any possible chance to buy it from him, do so. And if you can, see if you can’t get him to leave the pipes and outlets there. And pay him for it.

Do your best about buying the whole plant. I will send you some more money after this payday and it is ok with me about the hot water heater also. I imagine by the time I get home, we can buy them easy enough. Am glad you told him to go ahead and install it and I hope he hasn’t changed his mind.

Well honey, today was our thanksgiving, with everyone working. Was just another day. Altho we had a real good turkey dinner with all the trimmings. I certainly did enjoy it. Had turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots, cranberry sauce, cabbage salad, hot buns, bread, butter, apple, candy. Wasn’t bad do you think? I mean that turkey was good. But our meals have been very good.

This is the building we have just left, we had the hospital in there. It belongs to some of the big shots over here some place. Will tell you more about it when I get home. Haven’t got any of my papers for some time now. I guess after this Xmas package rush is over, maybe they will come then. I hope so anyway.

I think most of these people talk German, French and English. I guess I will have to brush up on my German.

Well honey, i guess this will be all for tonight. So goodnight, I love you and miss you. Am always thinking of you. A big hug and kiss.

All my love,
Schults”

He sent two Photos of the chateau de roumont during his stay there which are pictured above. Those are the photos he referenced in the letter when talking about the building. Also Included in the envelope were multiple currencies, a few from Luxembourg, one from Germany. Erwin had gotten ahold of them and sent them to his wife with the letter.

A few weeks after writing this letter, on December 16th The Battle of The Bulge would begin. Due to this, Erwin’s hospital would be filled with battle casualties. The Germans were about three miles from the hospital in the town of Diekirch. This is a short transcript of the event :

“ The 102nd officially closed on the 17th with many cases still being operated upon. On Monday morning, the 18th, the main body of the unit moved out quickly, destination Spa, Belgium. It was a wild fantastic move with new information picked up along the way that Spa was taken. In spite of no new destination being given, all vehicles moved in a westerly direction away from the front. One ambulance stopped in town to buy apples and four days later the town was besieged. The name? Bastogne. Some personnel had actual encounters with the Jerry, but all escaped - some with knees turned to jelly and all with tales for their grandchildren. By the night of the 19th, all had arrived safely in Huy, Belgium except for a small detail left in Ettelbruck.”

Erwin would survive the rest of the war and return home to his wife. From what I could find online, it looks like Erwin would go on to serve as a Fireman. He lived with his wife in Kirby, Texas. He would pass away on December 4th 1968 at the age of 60. He is buried in the Saint Johns Lutheran Cemetery in San Antonio, Texas. His wife would pass away on June 22nd 1989 aged 78. The two had 1 Son named Eugene Schulz. He passed away on September 29th 2007 aged 69.
WW2 Era Letter Written by Medic in Luxembourg To His Wife Shortly Before The Battle Of The Bulge. Includes Multiple Currencies and Photos.