WW2 Era Letter Written by Navy Sailor in the Pacific. He writes about Visiting the Marshall Islands, Seeing Japs up in the Hills, and more.
This letter was written by a John E. Hogan Jr. He was born on October 27th 1925 in Chelsea, Massachusetts. During the war, he would serve in the U.S. Navy onboard the USS PC-1564, which was a Submarine Chaser. The letter reads:

“ May 21st 1945

Dearest Mom,

Haven’t got any mail for over ten days now so having no idea on what is going on. I will have to wait until I hear before I can answer any questions you may have. Guess those packages will never catch up to me so you better not send any until I stop at one place.

We stopped off at the Marshall Islands and you probably remember some of the names, Kwajalein, Enewetak to name a couple. Lots of debris still here along the beach where the initial landings were made. Then we traveled on to the Palau Islands and were in the harbor while in the hills were many Japs. They have nothing left to fight with so they are just left on there and supplies are kept from reaching them. We didn’t remain there any longer than necessary because there wasn’t any chance to go ashore even for the officers. Can’t let you know where we are at present but we are doing patrol duty which is very monotonous and I hope it doesn’t last for long.

We finally got ashore and it felt good to walk around after so long on the same little ship. We should get on the beach more often as long as they keep us on this duty.

How is everything around home now? Irene should be on her trip by now and I hope she enjoys herself. Rita will soon be through school and out looking for a job for the summer. Maybe she could get back in the Bank. Can’t think of much more at present so I will close with love to all. Keep writing as the mail will soon catch up and I will expect quite a few to make up for the weeks of no mail. I’m in good health so you needn’t worry about me. The months go by quick and soon I’ll be on my way back home. Write soon —

Your loving son,

Johnnie.”

John would survive the rest of the war and would pass away on February 21st 1984 in Lynn, Massachusetts. He is buried in the Pine Grove Cemetery in Lynn.
WW2 Era Letter Written by Navy Sailor in the Pacific. He writes about Visiting the Marshall Islands, Seeing Japs up in the Hills, and more.