Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by P-51 Pilot in India. The letterhead is a photo of him in his P-51. He writes about his points, not graduating High school, his Post-army plans, and more.

Article about: This letter was written by a James Eagle Knight. He was born on March 17th 1924. He would enlist into the armed forces on May 13th 1942 and would go on to serve as a fighter pilot flying P-4

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by P-51 Pilot in India. The letterhead is a photo of him in his P-51. He writes about his points, not graduating High school, his Post-army plans, and more.

WW2 Era Letter Written by P-51 Pilot in India. The letterhead is a photo of him in his P-51. He writes about his points, not graduating High school, his Post-army plans, and more.
    This letter was written by a James Eagle Knight. He was born on March 17th 1924. He would enlist into the armed forces on May 13th 1942 and would go on to serve as a fighter pilot flying P-40s and P-51’s with the 2nd Fighter Squadron (Commando). At the time of writing this letter, he held the rank of Captain. The letter reads:

“ Sept. 27, 1945

Dear Tiques,

This, originally, was scheduled as our day of departure from Kalaikunda, India. But as usual the date has been advanced several days, so here I am writing letters. It may be ten days or so before I do leave, so that isn’t too long to sweat out. As long as I’m home for Xmas, I’ll be happy, so there’s plenty of time to kill yet!

Yes, I’m still cutting out paper dolls- the one heading this letter was a snapshot of me taken from a B-25. She’s a sweet looking plane, isn’t she? Too bad I can’t take one home with me!

I haven’t flown much lately, especially in the fighters. The only flying I’ve done for two weeks was to fly some big shots (colonels) over to Calcutta and back in a B-25. If I’m not careful, I’ll wind up my army career as a bomber pilot, heaven forbid!

The photo of James Edwin is the first I’ve received - and very good, too! So I’ll just keep it. Sure looks like a strapping boy!

Say, don’t fool yourself, us - there’s more than one 21 year old captain in the air corps - and my rival happens to be in this squadron! He’s a “young squirt” from California, who got his promotions when I got mine. Consequently, there first great rivalry between us - friendly, of course. And don’t think the other boys forget to remind us of our ages occasionally!

As for my post-army plans (we don’t have to say “post-war” anymore, thank God!) I may be considered an open market - my plans aren’t definite at all. I do want to go to school, however. And any material you could send concerning Okla A&M and Okla Y., I would appreciate and consider seriously, especially if either college has active flying training. You see, I would like to keep my hand in the game, if only in a minor way. It’s high time I decided upon something, so don’t hesitate to offer advice.

By the way, I never got a high-school diploma, and I don’t know just how big a draw-back that would be. I could hardly prepare for a year before enrolling in a college.

I certainly hope aunt Lucy is well by now. You sound as though it’s serious. My regards to her and uncle Gary(?). Perhaps I’ll be seeing them (?) long!

The point system may keep me in the army a few more months. I have 66 points now, and if I get a couple of decorations I’m in for, I’ll have 76. Perhaps by the time I get back, the score will be low enough for me to get out - I shouldn’t have much trouble along that line, anyway. Very soon, I believe it will be a matter of preference to men with combat experience.

I have been considering applying for a regular army commission, but if I accept, they will have to make it look pretty attractive to me! The army flying is what appeals to me. If I get out, I may as well quit it all together.

I’m burning much too much midnight oil. I got so interested, I wrote the longest letter I’ve written since I tried to make up with my gal! (Haven’t heard from her yet!)

Love,
    Jimmy.

P.S. By the way, any mail you may send to me should be sent to Statesville, N.C.! “

James would end up deciding to stay in the military and would serve for over 20 years reaching the rank of Major. During the Korean war, he would pilot the F-80. Throughout his military career, he would earn the Air Medal, Distinguished Unit Citation, Good Conduct Medal, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-pacific Medal, World War II Victory Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Service Medal and Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with four Bronze Oak Leaf clusters.

He would also be authorized to wear six bronze service stars for participation in the India-Burma, Central Burma, China Defensive, China Offensive, Korea Summer-fall, 1952 and third Korean winter campaigns.

James would pass away on July 18th 2013 aged 89 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He is buried in the Chillicothe Cemetery in Texas.