WW2 Era Letter Written by Royal Navy Sailor Who would later be Killed by a German U-Boat.
This letter was written by a William Martin. He served as a sailor in the Royal Navy on board the HMS Galatea (71) as a Petty Officer Cook. The letter reads:

“ Sunday Oct 1st 1939

My Dearest Marjorie

Just a few lines to let you know how things are, before I go any further with this letter, I want to wish many happy returns of your birthday and I only wish I could say it personally. I am sending the letter by air mail so I hope the letter reaches you on time. I have also enclosed a £1 so that you will be able to buy yourself something for a present. I should liked to have sent you a card but we haven’t anything suitable on board to send so please forgive me darling for not sending you one. Anyway, once again all the luck in the world. Also hoping this letter finds you as it leaves me in the best of health. Well my dear, I am afraid this is only a short letter but under the present circumstances I can’t help it. I sincerely hope your mum and dad are in the best of health also Syd and Eric. So goodbye and all the best, with tons of love from your loving sweetheart,
Bill.”

About two years later on December 15th 1941, HMS Galatea was off the coast of Alexandria, Egypt when it was sunk by three torpedoes from U-557. Out of 614 crewmen onboard, 470 would perish in the attack, unfortunately William would be one of them. He was 28.
WW2 Era Letter Written by Royal Navy Sailor Who would later be Killed by a German U-Boat.