WW2 Era Letter Written by Sailor Onboard a Destroyer. He writes about the recent Normandy Invasion and more.
This letter was written by what looks to be a Charles William Richards. He would first enlist in 1938. During the war, he served onboard the U.S.S. Yarnall (DD-541). Throughout the war, the Yarnall would carry out various call fire bombings and would shoot down multiple Japanese attack aircraft. The letter was written by Charles the day after the Normandy Landings. It reads:

“ June 7, 1944

Lucile Darling,

Am sorry it’s been so long between letters honey. Just can’t be helped.

We received word last night of the invasion of France. From all reports, things must be plenty hot over there. Bet there was a lot of celebrating being done, huh? Would have done some myself had I been able to. I know it doesn’t pay to be too optimistic but the news from everywhere really sounds too good to be true. Only hope they wipe up Germany as soon as I want in too.

I’m so sorry for ya having been quite sick. Wish I were there to really sympathize with ya. Too bad about your paint job. Musta been the sun that blistered it- spose? Any news on the apt you thought you’d get?

Am anxious to learn how your fortune came out. Was it the same woman you and Maurice used to talk about?

You tell Alice I said she’s an evil minded old woman. I’m hardly in a position to verify her statement and if I were, I wouldn’t and couldn’t .

So there!

Callahan was transferred and we’ve several new chiefs. Seems he was too old and not cut out for this type of duty. Mainly due to too much whisky- He should be home soon- my 1/C is eligible for chief july 1st, hope I can get him rated. They’ll have to waiver half his time in rate tho so I can’t be sure.

Only three of us are expecting now. Brekman and another one you don’t know. Want to get this in the mail Darling. Will write again soon. Tell Richie how much I love and miss you both and don’t worry.

All my love always,
Bill “

Unfortunately I couldn’t find any further information on Charles.
WW2 Era Letter Written by Sailor Onboard a Destroyer. He writes about the recent Normandy Invasion and more.