WW2 Era Letter written by Servicemen who took part in the “Battle Of Los Angeles“. He speaks of the event. 1942.
The letter was written by a Sgt. B.M. Krogh. He served with Hdq. & Hdq. Btry. 78th Cost Artillery (AA). He was serving in Long Beach California when the famous “Battle of Los Angeles” event took place. The event was a rumored attack on the continental United States by Imperial Japan and the subsequent anti-aircraft artillery barrage which took place from late 24 February to early 25 February 1942, over Los Angeles, California. Initially, the target of the aerial barrage was thought to be an attacking force from Japan, but speaking at a press conference shortly afterward, Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox called the purported attack a "false alarm". Newspapers of the time published a number of reports and speculations of a cover-up to conceal an actual invasion by enemy airplanes.

The letter reads:

“April 7th 1942

Dear Norma, Ray and Gale :

It seems I never get around to my letter writing promises and consequently must offer an apology each time you hear from me, but the fact remains my spare time is not as plentiful as would be expected and it is for that reason my letters are so far apart.

Don't know whether you have been previously told or not but we situated in an old bank building in North Long Beach, Calif. We came here on December 30th and have remained ever since. We are 21 in all and still belong to the Regimental Supply Office. Our regiment is scattered throughout this rich oil sector protecting various aircraft companies and we are located in the very midst of them all. We have double bunk beds to sleep in and have a gas stove we might make a cup of coffee now and then. The neighbors often bring us cakes, pies, cookies, etc.

Work fine has let up considerable since we arrived here, all my books have been closed out, but still I have plenty to keep me going steadily.

New rifles were received by our outfit last week. These are the Gerand type and everyone is busy tearing them down and reassembling same to become acquainted with its mechanism and component parts. Now we are awaiting our first opportunity to fire a round which may come sooner than we expect.

Every afternoon between the hours 2 and 3 we wear our gas mask during the course of our duties. Of course the object of this is purely practice should such occasion arise requiring same. People passing by are certainly attracted by the sight we set forth and often stand and stare in amazement. Word is about town that eventually every civilian in Long Beach will be issued a mask.

In a number of letters I have recently received from back home the remark is advanced that people of Chicago do not seem cognizant of the fact that a state of war exists. Is that a fact or just a passing remark? A similar sense of feeling seemed to prevail here too, but recently great strides have been taken by the local people here in North Long Beach which certainly seem to indicate that they are making readiness for what is to come in the future. Woman volunteers in their khaki uniforms is a common sight here. Periodic gatherings take place in our fire station for first aid instructions and woman have gone so far as to take over many of the cab operators…

*Back Of Page*

jobs. Can’t say wether this gesture is for better or worse. Early last Friday morning before dawn a test blackout alarm was made and sirens sounded their warning throughout this section.

The “power of be” have been a bit more lenient insofar as passes are concerned. We are now entitled to a total of 72 hours per month, to be taken either all at once or in periods of 36, 24 or 12 hours each. I am now located 35 miles from Dorothy and when I am unable to get home on pass, she comes down to visit me and stays in a motel for the night. Had a 36 hour leave over last weekend and was able to enjoy all the comforts of home during that time. Dorothy’s folks new place is most beautiful. Practically all the furnishings are new throughout. Our bedroom looks very nice with its new blonde furniture. It’s swell being so close to her and I count the days when I shall see her again. She means everything in the world to me now and I love her dearly. We’re both very happy when together and regret when the time comes to part. We often remark that we delayed our marriage too long when we sense the enjoyment there really is being together (and I mean together).

A few weeks ago we attended a dance sponsored by the department in which Dorothy works at Lockheed. This was like an affair we often attended together with you folks and we thought of you both then. We certainly had one swell time. It lasted until 5 o’clock in the morning. Dorothy still remains to be a softy when it comes to her liquor and is as lovey-douvy as ever.

Regardless of what you folks back home have read in the newspapers about the air raid on Los Angeles and Long Beach a few weeks ago and the possibility no planes were sighted is erroneous. The fact still remains that some 15,000 soldiers in our brigade witnessed the flight of the planes above us at 3 o’clock in the morning and will all vouch to that effect. All the firing was done by our brigade and we know. One “dud” landed landed half a block from our place and exploded causing extensive damage to several store windows and fronts. There was much excitement that morning and watching the searchlights and shells bursting in the air presented quite a picture. Of course the entire town of Long Beach was blacked out during the barrage and remained so until morning.

It hardly seems possible that my year is up in this man’s army only to start my next or successive “hitches”. The time certainly passed by quickly I must say. Believe that I shall never regret this first year, but can’t say that I am overly desirous of staying in this organization too long.

*Next page*

How is everything and everybody back home? Suppose Gale is getting to be a big girl now. Dorothy and I remarked how anxious we were to see her. How is Ray and his job getting along? Anymore promotions at Pullman? If you find the time sometime, I would be anxious to hear from you.

Please say hello to everyone from both Dorothy and me. Everybody out here is just fine and the weather is perfect.

As ever,

Burk

My address now is -

Sgt. B.M. Krogh
Hdq. & Hdq. Btry.
78th Cost Artillery (AA)
Long Beach, Calif.

WW2 Era Letter written by Servicemen who took part in the “Battle Of Los Angeles“. He speaks of the event. 1942.