Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by Soldier in Europe. He writes of wanting to Kidnap Hitler and Hold him Hostage in order to get home, and missing his wife.

Article about: This letter was written by a Lt. Henry Milton James. He was born on December 18th 1916 in San Francisco. During the war he served in the 61st Engineer Combat Battalion, 4th Army. The letter

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by Soldier in Europe. He writes of wanting to Kidnap Hitler and Hold him Hostage in order to get home, and missing his wife.

WW2 Era Letter Written by Soldier in Europe. He writes of wanting to Kidnap Hitler and Hold him Hostage in order to get home, and missing his wife.
    This letter was written by a Lt. Henry Milton James. He was born on December 18th 1916 in San Francisco. During the war he served in the 61st Engineer Combat Battalion, 4th Army. The letter reads:

“December 1st, 1944

My sweet, darling, precious Honey-babe:

December is with us and Xmas is just around the corner. I only wish that the end of the war was as close as Xmas is! It seems as if this thing is never going to end. I am on the point of doing something desperate. I feel like trying to kidnap Hitler and hold him as hostage or something screwy like that. Anything so that I can get home to you that much sooner. I am going nuts without you. I miss you and love you so very much.

The weather has been reasonably good for bombing so I expect all hell to break loose one of these days real soon. No mail for the past three days so expect some soon. I am fine and hope that this letter finds you in the best of health too. I pray for you and think of you and the joys that I had while we were together. Sometimes I feel like crying, but that isn’t quite right so I grit my teeth and say that it can’t be long before we are in each others arms again.

Well, sweetheart, must close now. Best of everything to all at home and all my enduring love and kisses to you.

Your Guy always,
    Hank”

Henry would survive the war and would pass away on May 4th 2016 at the age of 99.

Hi JB.

It is interesting because when I searched Henry (for the other letter he wrote), I noted he was known as Hank.

Kind regards,

Will.

It's another incite into the effects of warfare on serving soldiers, far away from what the movies might portray. The very real feelings of soldiers missing their loved ones and desperate to be home and away from the war.