Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by U.S. Marine of the 4th Marine Division. He would Participate in the Battles of Kwajelein, Saipan,and would land in the first wave during the Battle of Iwo Jima

Article about: This letter was written by a PFC Oliver P. Anderson. He would join the Marine Corps in 1942 and would serve with the weapons company, 23rd Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division. He fought at

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by U.S. Marine of the 4th Marine Division. He would Participate in the Battles of Kwajelein, Saipan,and would land in the first wave during the Battle of Iwo Jima

WW2 Era Letter Written by U.S. Marine of the 4th Marine Division. He would Participate in the Battles of Kwajelein, Saipan,and would land in the first wave during the Battle of Iwo Jima
    This letter was written by a PFC Oliver P. Anderson. He would join the Marine Corps in 1942 and would serve with the weapons company, 23rd Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division. He fought at Roi during the Battle of Kwajalein from January 31st till February 3rd 1944. This Letter was written on March 15th 1944 while his unit was getting R&R. The letter reads:

“March 15th 1944

Dearest all,

My it’s swell receiving your letters and enjoyed them all. Thanks for the miniature papers, Dan had received one and I was feeling somewhat neglected but the 620’s came threw, thanks ever so much. Received his new address and I’ll get a letter off to him within a few hours.

How does the neighborhood look, dead or is there still some life? If so what could it be? Did you say there’s a cleaners at the old A.P. on Lang? Is the young lady on the ball and is there any new faces around Lang?

Yes, the mail gets here in very good time and don’t think we’re not looking forward to them all.

It’s very nice and the days are getting much longer and the climate agrees with us all.

We have an inspection tomorrow which we been getting ready for. It seems to most of us, we are more (?).I. here then we were in Cal., but coming from Q rations I don’t mind it.

We have liberty the next day and we are planning a big time. We met a swell family last week but we’re not going back this time. We’ll be out trying to make new acquaintances and for some reason we have had always luck.

Look at us in L.A. I got to know much families there then I did in Pgh, in my last six months of freedom. We have a U.S.O. down in town but no girls, I have seen only a few white girls up to date. So I spend a good part of my liberty drinking rum cokes, eating, and walking.

How’s Carol doing in school and is she still going strong with her music? By now the kitchen should be painted, how does it look? How was the party somewhat like the send off party, or wasn’t there so much drinking since it’s so hard to get now?

I thought I could get a letter off to Ed, tonight but no soap, there goes tap and the lights will be out in a few minutes.

My you all should have seen the moon the last few nights, full and bright.

No I haven’t seen Ken, wish I could run across him and you can bet your boots if I see Jr. he’ll get along that i should run across him.

Goodnight to all, love, Oliver.

Keep writing,

PFC Oliver P. Anderson”

A few months after writing this letter, Oliver would be wounded by Shrapnel in a Japanese mortar and Artillery attack on the evening of June 15th 1944, during the first day of the Battle of Saipan. He would be evacuated to Hawaii for hospitalization. After release from the hospital, in late 1944, Oliver would return to the 23rd Marines. He would Land in the first wave during the Battle of Iwo Jima on February 19th 1945 and would fight throughout the entire Battle.

Oliver would survive the battle and the war and would receive the Purple Heart for his wounds received on Saipan.

Another piece of ordinary mail, but we all know here that such items are treasure for those of us who keep their memories alive. Fortunate Oliver made it home, what events he witnessed as a young man can not be over estimated.

Hi JB.

Another really interesting letter, thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

Always happy to share. I really enjoy USMC content and am always happy when I find it.

Good day,
    JB