WW2 Era Letter written by USMC Recruit while at Parris Island.
The letter looks to have been written by a Robert E. Watson while he was in USMC boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina. It’s dated August 7th 1944.

The letter reads:

“Monday
August 7th 1944

Dearest Margaret,

From the sound of your schedule, I think that you had better relax a great deal on your vacation. Worrying you are going to overwork yourself someday if you don’t take life a little easier. Try Watsons Mineral Water! You did teach me the tango in the front room of your home and I’m not wrong. How can I forget. Tsh Tsh. Who has started that rumor of my coming home before the 18th? Taint so since nothing is too definite in the service. However, I do expect to get home either in the latter part of this month or in early September. And I intend to see you not as an “old friend” but as a normal and human young fellow who thinks you are a nice looking girl.

*Back of page*

How is your sister doing with all of the males in Madisonville? I suppose that your father and you are looking after her to the best of your ability. Please, God, don’t let Margie be on her vacation, away from home, when I get there. A fellow attempted to swim the bay the other night, but didn’t quite make it “over the hill”. His body was found the next day. You see how this island affects some men, Margaret. Tomorrow is the last day on this rifle range and then we move back to the main station. My address remains the same, however. Do you remember Voltaire’s famous saying “ I disagree violently with what you say, sir, but I will defend to the last drop of my blood your right to say it”. Well, this is my motto in regard to freedom of speech, but these rifle coaches are ignorant men.

*Next page*

Germany will be beaten soon, but the question of what to do with Hitler and his cohorts is a big one. I propose to make Adolf live one year in each southern state. These southern boys annoy me and make me wonder why the Union even took the Confederacy back to its bosom at the close of the Civil War. Margie, the south is a parasite upon the rest of the nation and should be cut loose. I propose to elect as governor of all southern states, Negroes. Are you doing much swimming of late? You really ought to get in some swimming during these hot months regardless of loyalty to duty. I certainly look forward to getting a furlough in order to persuade you that Dewey is only a political farce like Willkie.

*back of page*

Here is how my strength ebbs away throughout the day.

However this life builds character and that is the important factor in life. Without character where would life be and without life where would the world be? Is it a geographical area or a mental image? Let’s quit here and consider the main points, for the main points are usually the important points, some other day. I will close now and hope to see you soon, Margie, and please write to this (?) ole Marine who is an outcast on an island- but with no woman.

Love,
Bob”

Unfortunately I couldn’t find any information on him. So I’m not sure what unit he served with or if he survived the war.