Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era V-Mail Letter Written by Member of the 705th Tank Destroyer Battalion

Article about: The letter was written by Donald R. Stine. He was born on July 1st 1919 in Pennsylvania. He graduated from Portland High School in 1938 and a few years later entered service in 1942. He woul

Default WW2 Era V-Mail Letter Written by Member of the 705th Tank Destroyer Battalion

The letter was written by Donald R. Stine. He was born on July 1st 1919 in Pennsylvania. He graduated from Portland High School in 1938 and a few years later entered service in 1942. He would be assigned to the 705th Tank Destroyer Battalion. On April 6, 1944, they traveled to Camp Shanks, New York, and departed the New York port aboard the Queen Elizabeth on the 20th, landing in Gourock, Scotland, on the 27th. Later heading into England. This letter was written soon after his arrival into England.

“England
    May 8th 1944

Dear Folks,

Perhaps you have been guessing amongst yourselves where I was sent. Time did not permit me to write sooner so here I am at last with a few lines. How is everything in your neck of the woods these days, O.K. I hope. For myself I’m in the best of health and catching on to the english ways day by day. Went on my first pass yesterday and enjoyed myself to the nth degree. Went through a cathedral built in 1220, a most beautiful and interesting place. Last week I got my english money in place of my good old American dollar. The last I heard from Wallace he was stationed near by. I’ve written him twice since my arrival but haven’t gotten a letter from him yet. Yesterday while looking through the PA register in town I came across the name of Woodrow Fenner(?) from E. Stroudsburg- if my memory stands me correct a fellow by that name used to come to your place, or am I wrong? Hope this list of news finds all of you enjoying the most(?) of health and happiness. Best regards to all.

Fondly always,

Donald.

P.s Randall is still in Africa, Bill is out to sea the last I heard. Have your secretary write if she has the time.”

The 705th landed at Utah Beach on July 18th, equipped with M18 “Hellcat” tank destroyers and first made contact with the enemy on August the 3rd, southeast of Miniac, France. They fought toward Brest during August and then helped clear the Crozon Peninsula in Sept. Moving across France to the Moselle River in October, they had advanced to the German border at Kitzing by mid-November. Shifting north to the Aachen, Germany area in early December, they were soon participating in the famous defense of Bastogne, Belgium, with the 101st Airborne Division and other units during the Ardennes offensive. They would receive the Presidential Unit Citation for their actions during the Battles of the Bulge.

They supported the drive to the Rhine River in March, 1945, crossing at Oppenheim on the 29th. Continuing the drive across Germany, they arrived in Neukirchen, Austria on May the 6th. Donald was credited with all five of the unit’s campaigns; Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe. Donald would survive the war and return home.

He would pass away on October 11th 2016 and is buried at the Riverview Cemetery in Portland, PA. He was 97.

Hi JB.

Another really interesting letter, thank you for sharing it with us.

I wonder if Donald is referring to Salisbury Cathedral. The building is regarded as one of the leading examples of Early English Gothic architecture. Its main body was completed in 38 years, from 1220 to 1258.

Salisbury Cathedral - Wikipedia

Also I say this because of the military training ground called Salisbury Plain -

Salisbury Plain - Wikipedia

Kind regards,

Will.

Think you might be right Willmore, think they would have come through Wiltshire/Berkshire on the way to the South coast for the invasion. Another great ephemera find from Heartfeltzero.

That would make sense BlackCat. I have visited Salisbury Cathedral myself in the past, it is a beautiful building. Randomly, Phil Harding of Time Team fame lives in Salisbury and can be found lurking in the various ale inns that are dotted around lol.

Quote by Willmore View Post
    That would make sense BlackCat. I have visited Salisbury Cathedral myself in the past, it is a beautiful building. Randomly, Phil Harding of Time Team fame lives in Salisbury and can be found lurking in the various ale inns that are dotted around lol.
    Indeed Willmore, in a previous existence we produced a film with him for a local museum. He is exactly the same in person as he used to be when on Time Team!

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Indeed Willmore, in a previous existence we produced a film with him for a local museum. He is exactly the same in person as he used to be when on Time Team!
    That is pretty cool and I agree. I met him when I was at uni when he came to do a flint knapping lecture. After that a few of us went for a beer and a curry and it was pretty funny because I gave him a lift to the restaurant (I had a Subaru Impreza at the time) and he was loving it lol.

Hi Will,

No problem!

And that definitely seems like it’s what he was referring to. And it certainly is beautiful. I guess it would be essentially unchanged from when he passed through.

Good day!,

JB

?

Unchanged in as much I bet the scaffolding is still the same from May 1944...... I pass by the cathedral regularly......

The only other cathedral nearby is in Winchester but that's a much older building so I think Salisbury is a safe bet on being the one mentioned in the letter.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....