Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Photo of P-51 “Tar Heel Tornado”

Article about: This was included in a recent lot that I got. I don’t have any info on this particular fighter. I also don’t know if it’s original but still cool nonetheless!

Default WW2 Photo of P-51 “Tar Heel Tornado”

This was included in a recent lot that I got. I don’t have any info on this particular fighter. I also don’t know if it’s original but still cool nonetheless!WW2 Photo of P-51 “Tar Heel Tornado”

MAP
    ?

A very interesting photo. Not sure where it is taken but the three men in the photo appear to look Asian. Maybe Filipino?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great picture,

I found another image of this particular plane in Germany in July 1945. (TAR HEEL TORNADO IS THE LAST MUSTANG)

"TAR HEEL TORNADO" has a tail number of 44-64051 G4-B. It was part of the 362nd Fighter Squadron, 357th Fighter Group... In 1948 this Mustang went to the Italian Air Force.

I found a FACEBOOK write up about the image.

"A little excursion back into the Occupation Era, and again in Germany. 357th FG with 362nd FS and 364th FS represented. G4-H "Spook" 44-63219 2nd ship is 44-64099 C5-L "Arkansas Traveller" rearmost 44-64051 G4-B "Tar Heel Tornado" July 1945. Again, they were just 2 months after the end of hostilities and are beginning to look a tad ragged. "Spook" got purchased by the Swiss AF, "Traveller" was salvaged in Jan 1947, and "Tornado" went to the Italian AF in 1948. Info taken from post by Martin Kyburz on another FB group."

Here is the information about this particular plane history taken from FORGOTTEN PROPS- A WARBIRDS RESOURCE GROUP SITE

P-51D-20-NA Mustang/44-64051
    *1944: USAAF 362nd FS (357th FG) as G4-B.
    *11/27/1944: Shot down a Luftwaffe Fw-190.
    *1945: USAAF 362nd FS (357th FG) as G4-B.
    *1/14/1945: Shot down four Luftwaffe Fw-190s.
    *3/24/1945: Shot down a Luftwaffe Me-109.
    *1947: USAAF 60th FS (33rd FG).
    *9/1947: Transferred to the Italian AF as 4235.

The troops may be Niesi Japanese American Troops...

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Photo of P-51 “Tar Heel Tornado”  

MAP
    ?

Excellent work Smitty.

Yes, they could be Niesi.

I think it's a great photo if so!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for all the info! I do have a question though. I was looking through some of the websites when I looked up the tail number you provided. This website 44-64051 | American Air Museum in Britain states that a p51 with that same tail number was called Little Sweetie 4. It’s like an entirely different plane yet with the same tail number. Definitely odd unless I’m mistaken.

Not outside the possibility that the plane name changed after the pilot rotated home was transferred or other circumstances.

Little Sweetie 4 is a good example of possibly 3 other aircraft being named Little Sweetie before this one was named, the pilot could have been in other aircraft like P-40s, P-47s or other variants of P-51s or other craft and this was the next plane the pilot was assigned after 3 others.. There may have been a Little Sweetie 2, and 3.. These aircraft could have also been shot down or damaged beyond repair and the pilot was put in another plane..

There were many planes that changed names by their pilots... There were not enough planes to go around for every single pilot so when one left a new pilot would take over that aircraft and name it accordingly..

The tail numbers are specific to that aircraft and it reveals when it was made, there would not be another like it.. So yes this plane with the same tail number was named Little Sweetie 4 and then later on Tar Heel Tornado..

Hope this helps

Smitty