Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII British Propaganda Poster Find

Article about: Hello all! Today was a fun day for me. I had the day off so I drove a little ways down the highway to stop at some antique shops. One of the items I found was this propaganda poster. When I

?

Default WWII British Propaganda Poster Find

Hello all!

Today was a fun day for me. I had the day off so I drove a little ways down the highway to stop at some antique shops. One of the items I found was this propaganda poster. When I saw it jammed onto a high shelf behind some other items, half way hanging from the one strip of tape the owner was using to hold it to some sort of board I knew I had to save it. I know that the value of these is based on condition, as is everything, but when the owner drops the price of $65 that her "damn mother-in-law" put on it to $10 I couldnt help myself.

I didn't realize it was British until I read "London" in the small print on the bottom. I got home and went and bought a frame to keep it safe. This is my first British item and I am happy to fill up the gap on my wall with a cool poster.

Anyway, on the back it reads both "Made in England" and "British Information Services, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York City". My initial thought is that these posters were sent to the U.S. to bring the U.S. citizens a feeling of closeness to their allies across the pond, but I am not sure. Any idea why this would be over here in the states?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII British Propaganda Poster Find   WWII British Propaganda Poster Find  

WWII British Propaganda Poster Find   WWII British Propaganda Poster Find  

?

A quick search has revealed that the British Information Services was located in the Rockefeller Center (the address on the back). It was the New York based information department of the British Consulate in New York, an overseas post of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, London. There were also offices of the BIS in Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles and in Ottawa (British Information Services (Ottawa))
    The BIS aimed 'to answer the questions most frequently asked in the United States about Britain and provide up-to-date government comment on current events where Britain has a role to play'. It appears that its services have now been taken over by the Public Affairs Team of the British Embassy in Washington DC.

?

Nice save Doug looks good in the new frame these old propaganda posters are quite collectible in there own right.

Regards Mark K

Cool poster and well saved and for a good price. As you mention, part of the British embassy team in the US, so either given out to locals or perhaps it used to hang in the Embassy, in the foyer or somewhere of that nature.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks for the opinions gents. Did this go the same for U.S. posters in the in the UK?