Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Map

Article about: I have a WWII map that confuses me. On one side it has a map of Essen-Mannheim and is in English (except the place names of course). The other side has the area of Northwich, England but is

Default WWII Map

I have a WWII map that confuses me. On one side it has a map of Essen-Mannheim and is in English (except the place names of course). The other side has the area of Northwich, England but is all in German. Why? This is confusing. Maybe a RAF map? Or Luftwaffe? It's in both English and German. The English (with German writing) side is dated 1940, while the map of Germany (with English writing) is 1944. We were thinking dambusters but they were 1942 I believe. The town of Wurzberg is marked with pencil on the map of Germany side. I know that the Allies bombed Werzberg in 1944-1945, so maybe that? But the two different languages stump me.

WWII Map

WWII Map

WWII Map

WWII Map

WWII Map

Sorry, I can't get more pictures, my computer is being a jerk.

I honestly have no idea, but this has piqued my curiousity. I was trying to find anything I could on a map maker M.R.S., R.E. like it shows in the one picture. That didn't work out. But, I searched "Copied from CONTI ATLAS 1938" and did find this: Germany : road map 1:500,000 / War Office, Geographical Section, General Staff | National Library of Australia

It's in the National Library of Austrialia's catalogue, and says that they have all 9 sheets that make up the overall map. It lists your part of the map as sheet 4, just like yours does. If it is the same thing, it says it was made by Great Britain's War Office, Geographical Section, General Staff. It lists that text is in English and reference is in English and German. The only photo listed with it shows a pink version of the "Index to Adjoining Sheets" like yours:

WWII Map

No mention of a Northwich, England map being on the back though. I know I have not answered any of your questions, and I've honestly made myself have more questions about it now that I've looked into it. But, I thought maybe this little bit of information might help you in your own research, as another platform to jump off of.

If you can get your computer to cooperate, I'd be interested to see more pics of the other side with the Northwich map.

Sorry, here's a bit more. I found info on those particular maps (German Road Map for scale 1:500,000) in the First United States Army Report of Operations, 1 August 1944-22 February 1945, Annexes 4.5.6.7.8. Go here: Report of Operations: Oct. 20, 1943/Aug. 1, 1944-Feb. 23/May 8, 1945 - United States. Army. Army, 1st - Google Books

Go to page 149, Annex 7, Appendix 5: Topographic Service. You'll read how the maps were planned, procured, and distributed to the troops. It says that your 1:500,000 scale was the largest scale they had and had to make smaller scale maps too. Anyway...Here's what one part says:

WWII Map

It talks about how they were printing so many maps to try to keep up with demand that they often "exhuasted supplies of paper on hand." What are the chances that maybe - and I have no proof of this mind you - but maybe they used German-made maps that they captured to print the US-made maps on the backs, so that they could meet demand? Again, I have no proof. But, I've continued to look and found other Sheet 4 sections of the map like you have, and none of them mention having a back printed on it, much less an English town's map written in German.

Anyone else have ideas on this? I am very intrigued!

Yes! I was wondering that too (about the capture and reuse of a German map). Other than that, why would there be different languages on a map? Thank you for the information! Ian

Here are the rest. The map of England with German text.

WWII Map

WWII Map

WWII Map

WWII Map

WWII Map

WWII Map

Thanks for posting those pics of the other side. I was hoping to find a similar one like that online showing it just being one-sided, but I'm not having luck finding that section of map at all. However, I did find this: Nazi Invasion Map of England - re-purposed by the Allies

Different section of England and different section of Germany, but it does show that the US Army repurposed some German maps at some point to print their own maps on the back.

Thanks for posting this thread to the forum. I've had a lot of fun looking into this item! I hope this all helps you, even if I can't prove it. Either way, it's a cool item to have in your collection, and it certainly has a story to tell! I'm hoping someone else on the forum can shed more light on the subject for you.

Thanks! Yes, it is a great item to add to my collection. It is a possibility that it is repurposed. Stay Safe! Ian.