Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sovier TankCrossing a "Bridge"

Article about: This isn't ephemera but it is a sort of photograph, albeit ones that moves. This is a clip from a prewar Russian film showing what I think is a T-46 crossing a stream on an improvised "

Default Sovier TankCrossing a "Bridge"

This isn't ephemera but it is a sort of photograph, albeit ones that moves. This is a clip from a prewar Russian film showing what I think is a T-46 crossing a stream on an improvised "bridge" . You will see that the "bridge" is just posts, no planking, set the width of the tracks and spaced so that the road wheels can bridge the gap between the posts. My observation is that the driver must have had brass balls to make that crossing. Dwight

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sovier TankCrossing a "Bridge"
    P
    Many

?

Nice video, but that tank is a BT-5 not a T-46

Brass...yep, I'd say so. Not the job that I would want. Cool to watch, though.

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    My observation is that the driver must have had brass balls to make that crossing. Dwight
    Hahaha! Either that, no brains or an NKVD officer pointing a gun at his head

Seriously though he had to be "fairly" competent as one degree from "dead straight" would surely see him get a good rinsing

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I knew about this video. A very brave man indeed.

JB4046, thanks for the correction. I used this illustration from F.M. von Senger und Etterlin, Die Roten Panzer: Geschichte der sowjetiscjen Panzertruppen, 1920-1960, to make the identification. The T-46 was a 1935 prototype for a light tank. The BT-5 was in production as a light tank in 1932. So I wonder, was the T-45 design intended to be a replacement, or up-grade of the BT-5? They certainly share a general similarity, though the front slope is very different.

The B-5 and the T-46 have some sort of frame on the turret; Any idea what that is for? von Senger und Etterlin says that the T-46 was heavier than the BT-5 and the hull and turret shape was similar to the T-26, the the the T-46 had 5 road wheels instead of 4 like the B-T. When I saw the video for the first time, I thought that it was a T-46 going through its trials, but I see now that it is a BT-5

I am glad you caught that error. Dwight

?

According to “BT FAST TANK” by Steven J. Zaloga

That frame around the turret means the tank has a radio. In his book he refers to it as the clothes line antenna. Only tanks with this clothes line antenna had radios.

I think the similarities you point to the T-26 are correct as from what I can tell the T-46 was meant to be an improvement over it. The BT tank family (bt-2/5/7) served the Red Army’s Cavarly branch

If I am correct that is the antenna around the turret. I really like this site, it has tons of information:

https://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/w...oviet_BT-5.php
    T-46 soviet light tank (1933)

I can just hear the driver----------
    "You want me to do what ?????????????"
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Funny..

I was going to say, you can almost hear the huge sigh of relief as the tank hits solid ground!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast