Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Austro-Hungarian Bayonet

Article about: I've just picked up this bayonet in an auction group of mainly British / Commonwealth ones (which are what I know more about!) Unfortunately, the condition is a little rough & some of th

Default Austro-Hungarian Bayonet

I've just picked up this bayonet in an auction group of mainly British / Commonwealth ones (which are what I know more about!)

Unfortunately, the condition is a little rough & some of the markings (especially those on the cross guard & scabbard) have been obscured by rust. However, on the blade, the "Österreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft" stamp is pretty clear & it looks like there is an Imperial eagle on the other side.

Am I correct in identifying this bayonet as an Austrian issue "enlisted man's" one for the M1895 Mannlicher rifle? Is there any way to estimate the date (of production) without clear markings?
    Austro-Hungarian Bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Austro-Hungarian Bayonet
    P
    Many

Hi Brickie,
    nice one and correct id. The OEWG stamp indicates manufacturing in Steyr and the eagle is the acceptance mark by the Austro-Hungarian army. Anyway there is no way to date the production more exactly than from 1895 to 1918.

Are there any regimental markings on the butt?

Many thanks Grave,

Nothing visible - although its not that bad, there is a bit of 'hammer' / rust damage so its possible any markings have been destroyed, but it appears more likely there weren't any.

You are welcome, yes many of them do not have any regimental markings, if they have it is easier to date more precisely the bayo.
    Happy new collecting year!