Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

German Seitengewehr 98 Bayonet unit markings

Article about: On my bayonet I have a marking that says 66.R.5.180 which im pretty sure is the 66th infantry regiment (3rd Madgeburg), company 5, weapon 180. On the scabbard it says B.2.R.J.1.102 but I hav

Default German Seitengewehr 98 Bayonet unit markings

On my bayonet I have a marking that says 66.R.5.180 which im pretty sure is the 66th infantry regiment (3rd Madgeburg), company 5, weapon 180. On the scabbard it says B.2.R.J.1.102 but I haven't been able to find what regiment the scabbard belonged to. Was looking for help from someone who knows more about unit markings than I do to try to figure out what the scabbard marking is. Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Seitengewehr 98 Bayonet unit markings
    P
    Many

?

http://www.bayerischewaffen.de/daten/trstemp.pdf
    hello I attach a link that may be useful.

?

I love bayonets.
    Would it be possible to take a pic of yours and post it?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I was not able to find the markings in the document you provided is there anywhere I can find more unit markings? Thank You for the help.

For anyone interested here is some pictures of my bayonet. (These are the pictures I got from the seller)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Seitengewehr 98 Bayonet unit markings   German Seitengewehr 98 Bayonet unit markings  

German Seitengewehr 98 Bayonet unit markings  

?

Nice ERFURT marked quillian back. That is who made my KAR98a. It does show some age and use but does have the scabbard. Are there any markings on the spine near the ricasso? e.g. date under crown. This thread has one that is very close to your markings and I think it will help.
    SeitenGewehr 1898 alter Art

Now there are experts on this site that can tell you more info and if the marking are legit.

They might chime in!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

In the book The German Bayonet by John Walter are two pictures of bayonets with markings like on your scabbard,the B is noted to be for Bavaria,Bayerisches Infanterie-Regiment,the J on yours could be for Jaeger-Regiment,hope this helps,should be an expert along soon....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I think Pete's interpretation is correct. Nice to see the leather scabbard as these often haven't survived well. And it is a military issued example, the private purchase parade versions seem more commonly seen these days. This appears to be the first model a.A. with one piece wrap around wood grip, made probably before 1902. Check the blade length, should be 520mm, looks a bit short.

The marking on the spine does have the crown and Kaiser W its date is "00" so 1900.

?

That is the birthdate! So she is 119 years old and worked for Kaiser Wilhelm.
    Doesn't look bad for her age and use.
    Semper Fi
    Phil