Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German WW1 Bayonet Identification

Article about: Hey guys, I was looking at a couple of Antique stores and I found this so called German WW1 Bayonet. I wanted to consult you guys before I consider buying it. Any help would be awesome

Default German WW1 Bayonet Identification

Hey guys, I was looking at a couple of Antique stores and I found this so called German WW1 Bayonet. I wanted to consult you guys before I consider buying it. Any help would be awesome
    German WW1 Bayonet IdentificationGerman WW1 Bayonet IdentificationGerman WW1 Bayonet Identification

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German WW1 Bayonet Identification
    P
    Many

Default Save your money.

Greetings,

It appears to be a cut down S98/05 Bayonet (a.k.a. slang: Butcher's Bayonet), but unless there's a direct threat to your imminent safety there is a minimal collector's value to this example. It's real/original, just well past its prime.

Best.

V/r Lance

Thank you for that info. Is there anyway to tell what gun it could have been used for. Any help would be great

Quote by Jimmeelegs View Post
    Thank you for that info. Is there anyway to tell what gun it could have been used for. Any help would be great
    Fits both the Gewehr 98 & Karabiner 98. Here's a brief history on this bayonet's type to include some of its variants.

GERMAN 98/05 VARIATIONS

Best,

V/r Lance

What about the Grip. I’ve never seen a Hrib like that. You think it’s just wore down that much?

Greetings,

When I first viewed your images, I thought the grip's area was covered in sea concretions (photos are a tad blurry). However, upon closer examination, it looks like blobs of melted metal in what would have been the wooden grip's area. I have no idea, why someone would do that to this bayonet (I have admittedly, seen worse). Yet, whatever the reason(s) between the cut down modification on the blade and the odd handle's treatment, it is a wholly mucked about example.

In all frankness, unless it possessed connections to your family (i.e. Great Grandfather brought it back from the war), or possessed some amazing provenanced story, I'd leave it be and allow someone else the honor/pleasure of owning it. However, if you do start to collect bayonets in earnest, it will likely not be your most expensive mistake.

Best,

V/r Lance

Thank you so much man. Glad to fully understand that blade. If only historical items could talk, this would be so much easier. I really do appreciate you help with the identification of this weapon

My goodness! I've never seen anything like that. Lance is right it's got a "concretion" grip. Reminds me of those 1970's pebbled stepping stones you see in gardens.
    The bayonet maker many moons ago appears to be "Waffen Fabrik Mauser", and they only made the S98/05 in WW1. Certainly not a collectable piece now. And $30 is probably highway robbery.