Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Identifying an German Bayonet - Eickhorn (1906 - 1920) Marked

Article about: I recently bought this German bayonet and wanted to get more information on it. It looks similar to the short WW2 era dress bayonets but the Eickhorn marking is an earlier one used between 1

?

Default Help Identifying an German Bayonet - Eickhorn (1906 - 1920) Marked

I recently bought this German bayonet and wanted to get more information on it. It looks similar to the short WW2 era dress bayonets but the Eickhorn marking is an earlier one used between 1906 and 1920. No other markings that I can find on it from what I can see. The blade looks plated but the pommel and guard don’t look to be. The press stud is functional. I’m trying to identify what purpose this bayonet was produced for, a dress bayonet, actual issued piece, or a private purchase item? Any other information is appreciated. It came with a frog but I don’t think it’s original to the piece. It’s unmarked as far as I can tell, does anyone know if it’s original and the potential origins of it?

Thank you!

Help Identifying an German Bayonet - Eickhorn (1906 - 1920) MarkedHelp Identifying an German Bayonet - Eickhorn (1906 - 1920) MarkedHelp Identifying an German Bayonet - Eickhorn (1906 - 1920) MarkedHelp Identifying an German Bayonet - Eickhorn (1906 - 1920) Marked

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Identifying an German Bayonet - Eickhorn (1906 - 1920) Marked
    P
    Many

?

You are right way for Your opinion its a private purchase Extra - KS98 short blade of very early period, the handle was steel and so rusted and the nickel was removed intime as not preserved like the blade was in scabbard, i assume the grips are wood or early bakelit type, the frog looks like for dress item too. Maybe sometime there was a leather buffer on blade on wall of crosspiece?

?

Thank you for the reply and providing that information! I think it is possible that there was a leather buffer on the cross piece at some point but nothing there now. I am guessing that it is early bakelite as it does not really look or feel like wood but I could be mistaken. It has a bit of a duller colour to it compared to the WW2 era bakelite on dress bayonets, but it could also be the built up dirt in the grooves giving it that appearance.

?

It could be pressed leather, early celluloid material or horn, all these was used prior the bakelit grips.

?

Hehe, the Eickhorn logo that makes me smile each time I see it, two squirrels in a state of arousal.

The grip is a good example of the say pre-1932 chequering, which is more elongated than the later, more square chequering, as seen on HJ knives and TR dress bayonets.

?

Here’s an example of an early Eickhorn, advertised and sold as Imperial German dress bayonet, with replaced later bakelite grips with the more square chequering. Seller forgot to mention that. You can tell by the shape of the chequering, the non-professional rivets and the suboptimal fit. Early leather grips tended to fall apart over time.

AFAIK, this exact Eickhorn logo design was patented by the Deutsches Reichspatentamt / German Patent Office, on June 19, 1906 as a trademark.

P.S.:
    The Karabinerklinge that your requested bayonet (?) , (if it can actually be attached), has is interesting.
    Does your edged weapon also have a bayonet slot milled into the pommel?

I saw you post on reddit haha. I believe this might be a horn grip as I usually see them on older blades such as this one.

Yes looks like horn grips hand scored to give the cross hatch. The Eickhorn logo of the double squirrels was used until 1921. I would think quite likely WW1 period made. The blade is a type know as a "Carbine blade". Nice find.

?

Taking a closer look I agree that it looks like Horn. It has a tight and faint grain pattern to it like other horn handled knives that I have (WW1 and earlier British clasp knives).
    Thank you everyone for the additional information on these blades and the finer points of the chequering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast