Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

hirschfanger s71

Article about: hello from what i know i have here a remains of Prussian hirschfanger,too bad about the condition. what concerns me is the shape of crossguard,removed muzzle ring and hook dirrected in the o

Default hirschfanger s71

hello

from what i know i have here a remains of Prussian hirschfanger,too bad about the condition.

what concerns me is the shape of crossguard,removed muzzle ring and hook dirrected in the opposite side than normal.

i guess that this is some crude modification but maybe it have some practical sides?

what do You think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture hirschfanger s71   hirschfanger s71  

hirschfanger s71   hirschfanger s71  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement hirschfanger s71
    P
    Many

Not sure I would describe this as a hirschfanger?
    Looks more like a bayonet to me.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

yes yes obviously a bayonet,from what i now it was issued to jager and navy battalions and commonly called the hirshfanger,identical name as the earlier hunter daggers i think
    regards

Michal is correct, it is a Prussian bayonet known as the Hirschfanger M 1871, which was a development of the M 1865. Main obvious visual difference is in the number of grip rivets. This one's been wacked around, the muzzle ring has been cut off and the crossguard arm bent forward. Condition is very rough and not really a collector piece any more.

Interesting Bayo.
    I don't think that I have seen one like it before.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

In good condition an expensive bayonet. Here's a photo to show what the one Michal has degraded from. Someone has actually filed the birdhead pommel.

hirschfanger s71

Thanks for that.
    I have seen these before. I thought perhaps that the forward pointing
    crossguard was something unique to this pattern.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

thank You for the response,yes i know that this bayo is ''beyond the circle''due to its conditon,but i'm sometimes too active and i'm bying things that are cheap and interesting for me so this one was in my area because of its price and the bent crossguard.
    this is my conjecture and wishful thinking but maybe the muzzle ring was removed to fit the earlier m65 rifle wich from my info has wider barrel than 71?but maybe bayo is too long and havy to be good fitted only at one point?when i'm looking at this crossguard i'm trying ti visualise why someone my do that type of work wich is i guess not too easy.the only practical issue that i can imagine is to hook up an enemy carbine and tear it out in face to face combat?whad do You think?
    obviusly this is my ''just thinking'' and i'm consider also that this is just abused piece of steel

regards

More likely adapted by a German hunter into a hunting hirschfanger. To finish off wounded game.

yes this is also interesting option,thank You for the info
    regards