Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?

Article about: I recently acquired this bayonet at an estate sale and am hoping to learn more about it's era of production and possible manufacturer. The ricasso is stamped with what appears to be Weyersbe

Default Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?

I recently acquired this bayonet at an estate sale and am hoping to learn more about it's era of production and possible manufacturer.

The ricasso is stamped with what appears to be Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Cie / WKC's "Knight's Head" hallmark. The only other markings or stamps that I can find on this bayonet are what appear to be "matching" serial numbers (125) stamped on the tang under the grips and on one of the flat sides of the pommel press stud. The WKC hallmark is very similar to the stamp found on gerrit's dagger seen here (WKC trademark evolution); would this style stamp indicate Pre-WW1 production? I have handled several Heer dress daggers made by WKC during the Third Reich and each had a similar "Knight's Head" stamp as well as "WKC." Does the inclusion of "WKC" in the hallmark more likely point towards Third Reich era production?

Of particular note, this example has a mortise slot with a hole cut for a cleaning rod and the tang too is cut with a slot for a rod. An example shared by Sleepwalker in the post found here (M1898 n/A Bayonet) shows the typical construction method involving the less than full length blade attached to the tang under the grip panels; are examples with cleaning rod slots less common?

I collect Third Reich / WW2 German edged weapons and have only owned a few 98/05s, thus leaving me quite "in the dark" on Imperial production pieces. I would greatly appreciate any information that you would be willing to take a moment to share about this blade and when it might have been produced!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?   Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?  

Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?   Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?  

Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?   Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?
    P
    Many

?

Nothing strange here, its mostly overproduction or remains of army contract or the piece had some tolerances problem so was used as dress type, and was nickeled, its well mashined, probably could be attached on rifle Gew98 wout problem.

You correctly note this is a "nA" version which started from 1902. The Knights head is the early WK & C logo, and the company made this bayonet version between 1903-14. Would have had a leather scabbard, which often didn't survive. Nice example.

Thank you Andy and Anderson, appreciate the information very much. Very interesting to know this is a Pre-WW1 Imperial production piece, always nice to break into "new territory." I also replied to the "WKC trademark evolution" post with this bayonet as well as a sword stick that also appears to be from the same era of production, I have attached photos of the sword here too.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?   Imperial German S98 M1898 n/A Extra-Seitengewehr Quillback Dress Bayonet WKC?  

?

I assume they used simplifyed WKC logo too on thiner blades, anyway exist Extra S98 with doubble head logo
    S-98 nA. by WKC | Lakesidetrader
    Anyway by military production went the fuller nearer to crossguard as was used the 2 line WKC/Solingen logo, so no place for larger TM probably.

The single knights head logo of this type is also seen on Imperial Navy daggers of the same era. So blade width certainly was a factor in the type of logo WK & C might use.