Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart

Article about: I received this bayonet from a friend of mine that found it outside in a wooded area on his property. It must’ve been outside for years... it was just a chunk of rust when I received it. T

Default A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart

I received this bayonet from a friend of mine that found it outside in a wooded area on his property. It must’ve been outside for years... it was just a chunk of rust when I received it. The grips were dry rotted, cracked, chipped, etc... I wish I took pics.

Anyways, I recently gave it a vinegar bath and this is what it looks like now. It’s sad to see how this old relic was lost/neglected... I’ve decided to give her new life. Does anybody know where I can find original grips/ screws? It was interesting to see how the heat-shield was added. I’ve never seen under the grips of these bayonets.

You can see the major pitting from all that rust. I found it interesting that half of the serrated part of the blade is intact, the other half looks to be crudely cut off. I wonder if this was done years ago about in the field or post war. Hmmmm

I took a couple pics of markings that I could find.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart   A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart  

A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart   A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart  

A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart   A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart
    P
    Many

And for those of you that have never seen what the heat-shield looks like... here it is. I thought it was welded to the tang... nope.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart   A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart  

A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart  

I take it there is no acceptance mark stamped on the blade spine near the crossguard. Without this mark you have a private purchase S98/05, 1915-17 likely made. You said it was found by a friend, if you don't mind saying what country would that be?
    I understand repro wood grips can be bought, probably harder to find the genuine parts now.

Hi Mr Anderson,

Yes sir, it was found on private property here in the US (Out in he middle of nowhere) It does have acceptance stamp on the spine and the year looks to be 1916. I attached a pic of the spine.

I would like to find a cutdown Turkish 98/05 in poor condition (Not the grips of course) and swap out. If not... I see some reproductions. Would love to have originals if I can find them.

I started getting her back in shape today.

Hope you’re well and thanks for the post.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart  

And one more... can barely see with all the pitting..

Time to clean her up... will post pics when finished
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A M1898/1905 not for the faint of heart  

OK, so it's got a Bavarian acceptance mark, 1916 and cypher of Ludwig III.

?

A normal Bavarian S98/05nA, the flashguard was not welded only attached to tang normally, the blade blade was delivered by F.Herder A.Sn crossed keyes, and the piece was completed by Fichtel and Sachs Schweinfurt. L16 is the acceptance date.