Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

m98/05 marks originality

Article about: Hello! I just bought this bayonet. Becouse it on Weimar Republic and not common maker. But when I looked in detail up close so doubts have crept in about the originality of the marks. What d

?

Question m98/05 marks originality

Hello!
    I just bought this bayonet.
    Becouse it on Weimar Republic and not common maker.
    But when I looked in detail up close so doubts have crept in about the originality of the marks.
    What do you think obout marks, are they original or "modern reworked" for price's enlarge ?
    Thank you!
    m98/05 marks originalitym98/05 marks originality
    m98/05 marks originality

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m98/05 marks originality
    P
    Many

I haven't seen a Franz Koeller made S98/05 before, though they did make the S84/98 between 1915-17. There could be a double strike of the Koeller maker mark on the ricasso, or it could be a faint strike from another Solingen maker who supplied F.Koeller & Co. They were a small volume maker and likely received blades from other makers and did the finishing with hilt fittings, if they did make the S98/05. So not too many example you can compare with. This would have been a good bayonet to post on the forum pre-purchase for discussion.
    The 1920 mark varies somewhat. You have to remember thousands were stamped after the war so variation will occur.

m98/05 marks originality

?

Its a normal S98/05nA made partly or complete by F.Koeller Solingen Ohligs, in period 1915-16 they delivered blanks to various manufacturers for finishing, when identical proof on blade and pommel, it could be this piece was completed by same firm. The Weimar 1920 stamp and refurbishment speak for later reuse in NS period. There was a unit mark on reverse ricasso, unfortunally sanded out.
    Similar repointing of details on marking has no sin, as there existed minimum 3 or 4 variation of maker stamp, and here mostly it was doubble striked.

Dok
    ?

Ljus, сongratulations. Chic butcher 98/05. No questions asked, Weimar. My bayonet is from this manufacturer.
    m98/05 marks originality

?

Strange position of crown here, no visible W letter?

Dok
    ?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Strange position of crown here, no visible W letter?
    Hello Andy. I don't know. As you can see, I have a butcher nASabg. Perhaps the inspector's mark was re-stamped Maybe this is a private purchase. This manufacturer has some mysteries. For example, this butcher doesn't have a crown.

?

That is not visible a crown is not problem because of W is weakly stamped, so the stamp was done per wrong assigning so the 17 is heavy stamped W is weakly and crown is not visible, strange is on Your second piece there is a crown over area where it should be the W. Only explanation would be the remove of sawback, removed on that area a crown W and later some removed sawbacks have a inspection proof, of which here probably only crown is visible wout the letter stamped. For this should be done exact area detailed photo. Unfortunally the bayonets are cleaned, so hard to say, what was there.

Dok
    ?

Andy, I have to agree with you, besides, this does not affect the originality and value of the item.