Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My WW1 German saw blade bayonet

Article about: Hello- Below are pics of a WW1 German saw blade bayonet I have. It has been in storage quite a long time. I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any information on it. The markings I bel

?

Default My WW1 German saw blade bayonet

Hello-
    Below are pics of a WW1 German saw blade bayonet I have. It has been in storage quite a long time. I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any information on it. The markings I believe show it to be made in 1905. Also what its dollar value might be (I'm not looking to sell it; just curious). According to family lore, the bayonet has been in the family a very long time. My great-uncle was a very well-known orchestra leader who toured Europe during the middle and late 1920's (this is fact).

The family story is that he picked up the bayonet in Germany during one of his trips, and later gave it to my father. Don't know if that is true, but I do know that it has been in my family for longer than me (I'm in my 60's).

Any additional information about it, and what army unit used it, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My WW1 German saw blade bayonetMy WW1 German saw blade bayonetMy WW1 German saw blade bayonetMy WW1 German saw blade bayonetMy WW1 German saw blade bayonetMy WW1 German saw blade bayonetMy WW1 German saw blade bayonetMy WW1 German saw blade bayonetMy WW1 German saw blade bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My WW1 German saw blade bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: My WW1 German saw blade bayonet

That is a very rare Imperial German bayonet. It's a model 98/02 pioneer bayonet. These were only issued from 1902 through 1905 when they were replaced by the model 98/05. Yours is unit marked on the bayonet Reserve Pioneer Battalion, XII Army Corps, company 2 weapon 22. The scabbard is unit marked 10th Pioneer Battalion, 2nd Company , weapon 33. I had one with matching scabbard that I sold four years ago for $2500.

?

Quote by habicht View Post
    That is a very rare Imperial German bayonet. It's a model 98/02 pioneer bayonet. These were only issued from 1902 through 1905 when they were replaced by the model 98/05. Yours is unit marked on the bayonet Reserve Pioneer Battalion, XII Army Corps, company 2 weapon 22. The scabbard is unit marked 10th Pioneer Battalion, 2nd Company , weapon 33. I had one with matching scabbard that I sold four years ago for $2500.
    Thank you very much for the information. Since I'm a 'newbie' could you explain for my information why it says 05 on the blade but it's a model 02? What's the difference between an 98/05 and a 98/02?

The 05 is year of manufacture 1905

Crown/FA is the Royal cypher of Friedrich August III of Saxony 1904-1918.

This ties in with the marking on the crossguard for the XII. (I. Königlich Sächsisches) Armee-Korps.

Very fine bayonet.

The most noticeable difference between the 02 and the 05 is
    the shape of the blade. Here is a 05 to compare against.
    Attached Images Attached Images My WW1 German saw blade bayonet 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Default Thanks and one more question

Hello-
    Thank you to everyone who responded to me. It's been very helpful.

I have one more question. In the picture below, what is the purpose of the slot that goes all the way through the handle, indicated by the arrow?

Thanks again.

My WW1 German saw blade bayonet

Default Re: Thanks and one more question

Hi that is for water to drain out.

All correct. Holes for water drainage and smoke from gunpowder