Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Presentation: My Bayonet 98/05 german

Article about: Hello, please take a look at my bayonet. Stamp say: 1916. What does the sign mean under the year? What does the star on the back of the blade mean? And please look at the wood, that looks pr

Default Presentation: My Bayonet 98/05 german

Hello,
    please take a look at my bayonet.
    Stamp say: 1916. What does the sign mean under the year?
    What does the star on the back of the blade mean?

And please look at the wood, that looks pretty new, right?

I thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Presentation: My Bayonet 98/05 german   Presentation: My Bayonet 98/05 german  

Presentation: My Bayonet 98/05 german   Presentation: My Bayonet 98/05 german  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Presentation: My Bayonet 98/05 german
    P
    Many

This is a Prussian State contract bayonet, the W is of course Wilhelm II, the mark below is an imperial inspection marks, there is probably another on the pommel. The six pointed star with dot in centre is quite often found on these Stahlblume brand bayonets, and opinions vary as to the meaning. Some say it's a factory QA mark, others suggest it indicates Police usage. Not sure if the meaning has been resolved. This 1916 bayonet is unusual in not have a flashguard, I'm not sure if that suggests Police contract, but it is interesting.

Thanks Anderson,
    its a "new art" without flashguard??

The handles used screws, not rivets.
    I do not know any bayonets with screws. I think the handles have been renewed.
    You can also see that the grooves were ground after the handles were mounted.

I am a little disappointed.

This site might be some help ----

GERMAN 98/05 VARIATIONS
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

some parts are really strange. it seems to be assembled as several parts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Presentation: My Bayonet 98/05 german   Presentation: My Bayonet 98/05 german  

From 1915 we would expect a flashguard on a S98/05, but that said, a Police contract may have be made without. The attachment of the grips of the S98/05 varied but usually screws. Some had no cross head and tightened only from the nut side. With this pattern bayonet it's not uncommon for more than one manufacturer to be involved. One might make the blade and another the hilt and assemble it. so we can find these bayonets with two makers marks on either side of the ricasso. Then in the Weimar republic era they were often refurbished, so many variations and permutations could happen in the service life.

Many Thanks Anderson
    So it may be that it was not used in the army but in the police?
    After the war continued to use "Weimar Republic"?
    Then the handle was renewed and the "Parierstange" ...
    There is a gap to see, is this normal?

An original piece but always repaired earlier.

look at my second bayonet.
    Was produced in 1917. Do you recognize the "W"?
    Then it was used by the Reichswehr (1920).
    Otherwise there are no further marks and it was burnished.
    5 more questions:
    - Was it used by the police or military since 1920?
    - it was burnished in 1920? Why?
    - Can it be that it was still used during World War II?
    - The pusher is missing. Was removed after World War I (demilitarization)
    - Who is the manufacturer? Sch ........ n Remscheid

I thank you.
    Dan

Presentation: My Bayonet 98/05 german  

The maker is, I think, Ferdinand Schleuterman & Co., Remscheid-Hasten.

As Anderson previously stated the "W" is Wilhelm II - the Kaiser.

The 1920 mark shows this was one of the authorised bayonets used in the Weimar Republic Reichwehr after 1920 (conditions of Peace Treaty). It may have been in military service for a period of years. But the absence of the locking lug does suggest de-activisation. Was that some time after 1920 due to being surplus, and need to maintain bayonet numbers at Peace Agreement levels?, we can't say. But it may have been then transfered to the Police for use as a side arm (not a bayonet) at that time. Anything more is speculation as the locking lug could have been removed at anytime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast