MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Sabre identification

Article about: Hello, Would be amazing to know more about this sabre my friend found metal detecting

Default Sabre identification

Hello,

Would be amazing to know more about this sabre my friend found metal detecting

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sabre identification
    P
    Many

To me it looks like a Bavarian Artillery model sword, made probably between 1900-18, and possibly by Carl Eickhorn. This Bavarian style of dovehead pommel, round single bar stirrip guard and without languets, originates in the 1860's, and differs from the Prussian style, but I think this will be an early 1900's version. Probably had black celluloid grip covering over the wooden grip. That is lost to time. The nickel plating on the hilt still in quite good order. Scabbard would have been black painted steel, now rusted away. Where did you find it?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    To me it looks like a Bavarian Artillery model sword, made probably between 1900-18, and possibly by Carl Eickhorn. This Bavarian style of dovehead pommel, round single bar stirrip guard and without languets, originates in the 1860's, and differs from the Prussian style, but I think this will be an early 1900's version. Probably had black celluloid grip covering over the wooden grip. That is lost to time. The nickel plating on the hilt still in quite good order. Scabbard would have been black painted steel, now rusted away. Where did you find it?
    Wow, I was not expecting so many details about it! It was found in Bavaria. So you must be right about it. Thank you very much for such a great answer. There is also one small broken nickel plated detail witch was probably in this place:

Glad to be of help. It probably had an etched blade originally on at least one side, with the motto "In treue fest" and possibly a regimental etching on the other side.

Here's a photo of what it would have looked like a 100 years ago.

Sabre identification

Notice how the sword portapee is attached through the slot in the guard at the rear of the hilt.

We do not allow the use of outside photo hosting sites here.
    Please follow the instructions in this thread to upload your photos directly to this thread.
    Visual Guide to Upload Photos
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

While we wait on padandom to get around to upload the photos to the WRF site, here's a screen shot of one image, just in case the plug gets pulled and we end up with a useless thread.

Sabre identification

Sabre identification

Sorry guys, I did not realize that you are expecting me to fix this
    How can I delete the old pictures?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sabre identification