Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sawback 98/05 Gunshow find

Article about: I found this bayonet yesterday at a local gunshow. I don't see any markings on it other than the single proof mark. Is it normal to not have markings like this? And is this a 1st or 2nd mode

Default Sawback 98/05 Gunshow find

I found this bayonet yesterday at a local gunshow. I don't see any markings on it other than the single proof mark. Is it normal to not have markings like this? And is this a 1st or 2nd model? The muzzle ring looks to have been filed on or cut down. There are also some file marks near the release button. The blade has a slight bend/curve to it as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sawback 98/05 Gunshow find   Sawback 98/05 Gunshow find  

Sawback 98/05 Gunshow find   Sawback 98/05 Gunshow find  

Sawback 98/05 Gunshow find   Sawback 98/05 Gunshow find  

Sawback 98/05 Gunshow find  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sawback 98/05 Gunshow find
    P
    Many

Its the second pattern example of the M1898/05 sword bayonet, known as the n/A (neuer Art = newer model). The second pattern lacked the first pattern's vestigial muzzle ring (or 'ears') and has a flashguard.

It is as stated, so post 1915. No military acceptance mark, so a private purchase sawback. The first owner very likely a NCO who has used the bayonet as a hammer to tack up notices, hence the tell tall marks on the flashguard. The sawback S98/05 was a popular sort badge of office for senior NCO's during WW1.

?

On various places were filled, anyway unmarked or not visible marked S98/05nAS exist. it could be for inspector proof Stahlblume also Schulte Co, or Ferd.Schleutermann. Any stamps on crossguard?

I was unsure if maybe it was a 1st pattern that was converted, based on the filing that has been done on the muzzle ring. It looks different than other factory muzzle rings on 2nd patterns I have seen.

No markings on the crossguard that I can find. Although, it looks like there may be file marks on the crossguard edges, so it's possible something was there in the past.

?

Sometimes in front of crossguard or on backside of it are stamped letters, RK , S or other some star marking, unfortunally when the area was filled, so remains are not visible, on end of rifle slot on pommel could be other proof stamp, similar to them on pommel. very bad filing is around the press button.