Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive - M17 Sturmmesser

Article about: Hi guys, I would like to ask your opinion about that WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive. The scabbard maker mark is V&N (Vogel & Noot ?) I could not identify the knife maker. Many tha

okw
    ?

Default WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive - M17 Sturmmesser

Hi guys,
    I would like to ask your opinion about that WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive. The scabbard maker mark is V&N (Vogel & Noot ?) I could not identify the knife maker. Many thanks for help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive - M17 Sturmmesser   WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive - M17 Sturmmesser  

WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive - M17 Sturmmesser   WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive - M17 Sturmmesser  

WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive - M17 Sturmmesser   WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive - M17 Sturmmesser  

Attached Images Attached Images WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive - M17 Sturmmesser 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Austro-Hungarian Trench Knive - M17 Sturmmesser
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    You may want to have a read through this reference thread created by Lance, (MilitariaOne).
    You may find the maker's mark that you are searching for.
    That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

okw
    ?

Hi,
    Many thanks for the advice, I checked that thread but could not find that maker mark in it.
    One of my friend said may be that could be a Croatian retailer's mark.

Default Question everything.

Greetings,

I have not viewed the ricasso's marking before, which in of itself is not off putting (I'm always learning something new & keep an open mind). However, the proof mark on the crossguard though deep, does not appear to be of any coherent design (i.e. it's not an eagle or something remotely recognizable). That said, my bigger concern, is the noticeable corrosion evident on the blade (specifically, the ricasso) yet, the visible wood handles appear pristine/unworn in comparison (one could say the same about the noticeable wear on the scabbard compared to those handles as well). The odd difference in wear between those two parts would put me off in obtaining this example. This Sturmmesser may very well be "right as rain" and an uber-rare example, but due to the aforementioned oddities/inconsistencies; I personally would pass on this example and allow another the privilege of its ownership.

Decent reproductions of M17 Sturmmessers have been available (from Poland) for at least three-years and this example may very well be one of those, which has had some "work" done on it. With many of these "artistes" the idea is to create enough of a story/interest in an item and then, allow the prospective/potential buyer to talk themselves/convince themselves something is rare/legit and purchasing it. Unfortunately, I have been "that guy" more times than I care to share. As such, I tread lightly when multiple "red flags" become evident. Others' mileage may vary.

Lastly, this knife may have simply been renovated and remarked/rebranded in its wholly original lifecycle.... a plausible story yet, without word of other examples or rock solid provenance; I'd pass on it:-)

Best,

V/r Lance

"..allow another the privilege of its ownership."

Nicely put Lance. I might add the leather hanger has shrunk as if it's been continually wet, but has none of the usual cracking we see with old leather.